Which HP steels don't need boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jersey Jim

Reaction score
I am about to switch from 2 sets of double aluminum 80's to double HP steel 100's. Am trying to decide between OMS and PST. Do either of these steels, or other mfgr. stand upright without tank boots? Or do all steels have bottoms too round for standing? Just the HP 100's are what I am interested in. Any reason to go with one Co. over the other (exept for the PST exemption controversy)?

Thanks,
Jim

To my understanding all steels have the rounded bottoms.

I think the OMS is a PST. Tanks will be stamped with the makers ID, not the sellers brand name.

If you're worrined about PST and the expemtion there are the new Worthingtons (Sea Pearls or XS Scuba). I believe the outcome of the expemption deal is that as an owner you can file for your own easilly if PST is not around to maintain it. Look back a few months in this forum.

AFAIK OMS is OEM by PST.

Now in language everyone else can understand.....

As far as I know OMS tanks are manufactured by PST to OMS specifications, and I have yet to see a steel tank with a flat bottom.

Yes, OMS tank is from PST. The only difference is that the tank has OMS sticker instead of PST one.

I would choose faber FX series 100's. They are spray galvanized and coated with a white polyurethane paint. I just purchased a set of 120's from joel at techdivinglimited.com ... sweet deal ... and sweet tanks.

FYI check out his site it gives you the bouyancy charachteristics of the worthingtons and the fabers so you can make up your own mind.

-Eric

All steel scuba tanks have round bottoms, so there's not much to choose between in that regard. However a hot dipped tank will usually hold up better to no-boot wear than a zinc-sprayed/painted tank.

It'll also be much easier to touch up when it does wear since you can just blast it with some ZRC.

Worthington HPs are also made under an exemption, though W's state of health seems much better than PST's. However the PST exemption situation doesn't really appear to be a problem. It got hashed out pretty thoroughly, and it turned out there is a fairly simple procedure by which individuals can get a exemption renewed to continue using the tanks if the manufacturer lets it expire.

FYI; All steel tanks have the rounded bottom & the new Worthingtons do not have the paint coat. Just the beautiful galvanized grey :) The older stock did though eyebrow

MM71:
They are spray galvanized and coated with a white polyurethane paint.
-Eric

oxyhacker:
All steel scuba tanks have round bottoms, so there's not much to choose between in that regard. However a hot dipped tank will usually hold up better to no-boot wear than a zinc-sprayed/painted tank.

It'll also be much easier to touch up when it does wear since you can just blast it with some ZRC.

Worthington HPs are also made under an exemption, though W's state of health seems much better than PST's. However the PST exemption situation doesn't really appear to be a problem. It got hashed out pretty thoroughly, and it turned out there is a fairly simple procedure by which individuals can get a exemption renewed to continue using the tanks if the manufacturer lets it expire.

So, what is your opinion about Worthington and PST tank in the performance wise, such as finish, weight, and height....?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom