Which HARNESS and why? for your BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think its that big of a deal on a singles rig. I've seen webbing snap and a double rig plummet to the ground. It was a rather unsettling occurrence. On a heavy doubles rig, I can't see having any of those plastic buckles on it.

Two options: Steel or Plastic.

Are we really, actually, truly debating the strength benefits of plastic?!?

Plastic doesn't break? In whose fantasy? I agree...they broke all the time when I was in the military. Military invariably use the cheapest option. The plastics on scuba kit are effected in the medium term by sun, salt, sand and abrasion. They do break...if you dive enough, then you see examples of that...especially in the tropics.

Maybe some of us should do some back ground reading before we do. May I suggest the following:
Plastics Engineering, Manufacturing & Data Handbook

By Dominick V. Rosato

In many cases when debating that topic the answer is when properly engineered plastic can outperform steel or for that matter titainium. Which as we all know if stronger and lighter than steel.

Last edited:

Plastic doesn't break? In whose fantasy? I agree...they broke all the time when I was in the military. Military invariably use the cheapest option. The plastics on scuba kit are effected in the medium term by sun, salt, sand and abrasion. They do break...if you dive enough, then you see examples of that...especially in the tropics.

I agree. I have witnessed it first hand. The part of the buckle that breaks is the part you squeeze. You are putting stress on it by pressing it each time you wear it.

I have a single length of webbing with a loop and a plastic QR buckle on the left

IMG_1251.jpg

It makes it easier to remove in the water - a lot of my diving is from RIBs and we remove our kit in the water and hand it up.

Well we have established that the HOG one piece style harness is by far the choice of most divers around the globe. It seems to be by far the simplest and strongest harness in use today. The new argument is how strong "PLASTIC" is?????:rofl3: It seems to me plastic is the weakest link in the chain. Stories from all over have come here stating that there Plastic buckles have broke.

Has any one heard of a single piece of webbing (HOG harness) Snap? Break? or come apart? I haven't :D

Last edited:
Has any one heard of a single piece of webbing (HOG harness) Snap? Break? or come apart? I haven't :D

I have witnessed it. When the double 72s hit the ground, everyone noticed. The harness must have snapped near the top center or he had only one arm through as he was gearing up for it to drop like that, but it made a bang.

There is HOG and there is hogwash like plastic buckles, shoulder pads, chest straps, etc.

Let's see, who are we going to trust when it comes to the 'right' equipment? A group of people who have surveyed hundred thousands of cave feet (and could have choosen anything they wanted for these endeavours) or an industry that promotes tank bangers and blinking yoke screws?

I trust Dive Rite. If plastic buckles are good enough for their harnesses, then it's good enough for me. Last I checked the Dive Rite crew are a bunch of hardcore cave divers.:idk:

I guess I should tell all the plastic clips and buckles I've broken in the military that they shouldn't have shattered!

And all the plastic clips and buckles that didn't break when the ruck sacks get thrown out of trucks with tons of other craps piled on them, or smash into the ground during a parachute drop.

BTW, if steel/aluminum are so strong then how come they are being replaced by plastic when it comes to gun parts? Guns that are designed to be used by soldiers and in combat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom