Which hand for canister light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman

Contributor
Reaction score
So which is the proper placement for the light in a canister light setup? Left or right and why. In the DIRF book, they seem to jump from hand to hand in the pictures. I see the compass sometimes on the left with the light head. But how do you see the compass underwater that way clearly? It would also be tough to charge up the glow on the compass that way as well ( i guess you could take the light head off that hand...).

steve

Steve... the light head can be held with either hand and is easily transferred back and forth.

To *charge* the compass on the left wrist momentarily shine the light on it using the right hand to hold the light head.

When scootering we often hold the light head with the right thumb hooked through the goodman handle but can transfer it to the left hand for pointing in other directions.

Shane usually uses his left hand (he is left handed) while I often use my right hand.

Important point is to make sure that you pass the light head and cord under the long hose no matter which hand you are using it in. That way when you are using the light head on the left hand the light cord does not trap the hose. Of course when you need to donate you need to pass the light head to the left hand so that you don't blind the recipient with the light.

Does that make sense?

So the goodman handle on the halcyon is easy enough (even with thicker gloves?) to transfer back and forth? We're shortly going to be getting into the chilly stuff up here so thats a consideration.

I'm still deciding weather to get the 10 watt or 18 watt right now (already decided to buy one of the 2). I've got the 10 watt UK light cannon right now and I'm happy with the light it gives out but I want something that i dont have to dangle under me. And i think i want more light.

steve

wetman once bubbled...
So the goodman handle on the halcyon is easy enough (even with thicker gloves?) to transfer back and forth? We're shortly going to be getting into the chilly stuff up here so thats a consideration.

I'm still deciding weather to get the 10 watt or 18 watt right now (already decided to buy one of the 2). I've got the 10 watt UK light cannon right now and I'm happy with the light it gives out but I want something that i dont have to dangle under me. And i think i want more light.

steve
The goodman handle is rigid enough that you can easily pass it back and forth and even hold it with just a thumb hook while wearing thick drygloves.

As for the light size... around here for the dives we do... the 10w seems just fine and we don't even need the burn times that we can get off of the Pro4 canister.

If you have the extra $$ then go with an 18w and the new helios battery pack... but be careful of the u/w creatures eyes!

Last night we spotted an octopus and watched him for about 10 minutes... during which I had to keep my little 10w point away to keep from harming his eyes.

Where's the best spot to attach a boltsnap to the light? On the goodman handle or on the electric cord just behind the light head? I just dropped the moola for a 10W light. Luckily I'm single so I don't have to listen to anyone other than my conscience about how much I jsut spent on a light :rolleyes:

That, and the macaroni and cheese for the next four weeks!

Well, i hadn't really been contemplating the halcyon lights until i went to that stealthdive site. Those are quite decent prices and IMO very worth it. Still fighting with the idea of the 18 watt light on the 4.5 ah canister. The claim is for 1 hour 45 minutes for the 18 watt which is fine i think (could just get 2 batteries and have the spare with you). I was concerned about potentially over driving the batteries then i saw the 50 watt hid on the halcyon site offered with the 4.5 ah battery for video so i dont think thats too much of an issue. Most of my dives are < 45 minutes so 2 on a battery charge would certainly be fine too i think.

decisions, decisions. The one thing i hate about diving is that there are too many toys and variants to buy.

As far as harming eyes, we are in a fairly creature free zone of the world unfortunately (relative to other parts of the world at least). I was on the hyde and markam in north carolina a month ago and realized how fun it was just to sit and stair at the living things for hours down there. Up here, there just isnt a whole lot to blind, so light it all up, i say.

steve

bengiddins once bubbled...
Luckily I'm single so I don't have to listen to anyone other than my conscience about how much I jsut spent on a light :rolleyes:
I'm married (32.8 years) to the world's best wife.
Shane didn't do too bad either as his wife is her mother's daughter.

Either... I tend to prefer the right, but switch to left from time to time, and when reeling up line.
My bolt snap is attached to the light head itself rather than the Goodman handle, by a plastic wire guide.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom