Which hand for canister light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It all depends for me. I switch back and forth a lot. I now prefer the left though for one reason alone; OOA drills and emergencies. I learned the lesson real quick when I pulled an OOA drill on my dive buddy in a cave last month. He wore his light on his right hand that day. The drill went smooth, until he went to hand me the reg. Being that it was in his right hand, I got a nice bright 10watt HID shined right in my eyes. Talk about some severe ruining of my vision!

Anyway, that is why I prefer the lefthand now.

So for the left handers, what kind of issue do you run into regarding the cable that comes accross your front? Is the supplied cable long enough? And what about wetmate-type attachments? These seem like a reasonably good idea (i guess until you'd pull one out accidentally).

Oh, and for people looking for scout equivalents, theres a guy that sells those in canada - they turned out to be fantastic and at about 2/3s the price of a real scout. If these guys can make a profit at these much better prices, it just shows how over priced some of the halcyon stuff is. I dont think their bcs/backplates are overpriced at all, but i do feel they tend to price themselves out of the market on their lights a wee bit. I'd buy the full helios 9 in a second if it was slightly better priced.

steve

Wetman,

Those Scout alternatives are available through

http://www.canadianextreme.ca/

or you can get another Scout alternative, for about the same price through

http://www.sidemount.com

Bill does not have them on his website, you would have to call and ask him about them.

Oh and for the problem with the light cord, it is simple. Yes it is plenty long enough, and all you do is place the light on your left hand before you route your long hose. This way your long hose is both unobstructed and available for easy deployment, and it also holds the extra cable in place.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

I'm married (32.8 years) to the world's best wife.
Shane didn't do too bad either as his wife is her mother's daughter.
Sounds like y'all ought to make sure you tell your mother-in-law regularly that she "done good"... I do mine...
Rick

Im kinda getting to like ya sense of humor...............Dry as a bone.

My kind of humor.:D

:doctor:
Well I guess it really doesn't matter but if you ask me I'd have to say to hold it in your hand that is most comfortable for what you are doing? I usually just leave mine clipped to a D ring on my chest strap. It doesn't hang down and still provides plenty of light to see with. I have no problem communicating with it and both my hands are free! I tie a clip to it using string, similar to that from my dive reel, plastic tie wraps tend to wear out with time faster and can break easier. Hey you do what works for you. And as for that compass well shine your light on it to charge it every few minutes if you need to.

GDI

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom