Which GoPro to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmneill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am about to order my first GoPro, and wanted to make sure I get the right one. I assume this would be the Hero 2 surf edition? Is it available with the dive housing, or will I need to purchase that seperately? and anything else )accessories) I should buy right off so I don't need to wait twice for the mailman? (maybe the best inexpensive light system?)
Thanks in advance!

Great article above. Quick answer is that all the GoPro packages will work. It really depends on the accessories you want with it. As of right now (atleast to my knowledge) GoPro doesn't offer a package with the dive housing (although they should make a divers package) so you will have to pick that up as well. I went with the hero 2 outdoor package as I loved the addition of the headstrap (be sure to use it under a hood or create a chinstrap for it) and the vented helmet strap (able to use it on a helmet and as a makeshift wrist mount). I also love the suction cup mount in the motorsport package (since I ride motorcycles, haven't tried it underwater yet) but I just bought that separately when it was on sale on Amazon. The nice thing about the surf package is it includes waterproof adhesive mounts and a floaty backdoor in case you happen to lose it in the water it will float instead of dropping to the bottom.

In the end however it's really up to you on which of these mounts you think you will use the most. Everything in all the packages can be purchased separately if you decide you must have it at another time... But then again half the fun of owning a GoPro is creating new mounting options yourself!

Make sure to get the Hero2. It has more field-of-view options and better low light capability. I've found the LCD backpack very helpful in framing shots. You might try contacting GoPro directly and see if you can 'create' a diver's package (swap the flat port housing for the standard one) and not have to buy two housings.

I am about to order my first GoPro, and wanted to make sure I get the right one. I assume this would be the Hero 2 surf edition? Is it available with the dive housing, or will I need to purchase that seperately? and anything else )accessories) I should buy right off so I don't need to wait twice for the mailman? (maybe the best inexpensive light system?)
Thanks in advance!

Please take a look at what MAKO has to offer. We offer two handle options, light options and many mounting options. If you buy a camera from MAKO, you have an option of a free SD card, free flat lens or a free handle.

You definitely do NOT want to use the stock housing for underwater... You need either a flat lens (which can be mounted on the stock housing) or the OEM diving housing from GoPRo which is $50.

You probably want the outdoor edition package. This package includes a head mount (which needs to be worn under a hood or be configured with some type of chin strap) for undewater use.

Some people have found our lycra hood to work especially well for this application.

MAKO Camo Lycra Hood

GoPro Cameras / Speargun Camera Brackets

mar15h_sml.jpg

m2htct_sml.jpg

Please take a look at what MAKO has to offer. We offer two handle options, light options and many mounting options. If you buy a camera from MAKO, you have an option of a free SD card, free flat lens or a free handle.

You definitely do NOT want to use the stock housing for underwater... You need either a flat lens (which can be mounted on the stock housing) or the OEM diving housing from GoPRo which is $50.

You probably want the outdoor edition package. This package includes a head mount (which needs to be worn under a hood or be configured with some type of chin strap) for undewater use.

Some people have found our lycra hood to work especially well for this application.

MAKO Camo Lycra Hood

GoPro Cameras / Speargun Camera Brackets

View attachment 126440

View attachment 126441

I will check them out today. Thank you all for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

Great article above.

I had been looking to make the jump to HD and replace my camera with a GoPro setup. However, my frustrations with trying to piecemeal something together that's simple and reliable only served to highlight the fact that its' appication in diving is still in its' infancy. So, I've decided to hold-off and see how the product develops-out. Would love to get a Canon HF S30 HD w/ Light & Motion Bluefin housing, but it's just too price prohibitive.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom