Which Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used many different styles of fins, and the best ones in my opinion are the apollo bio fins. They are heavy and carry momentum and power. The best thing about them is that they are easy on your legs.

2 main types of fins :

split fins or non split fins

split fins are the hydrofoil design you're talking about. they're basically easier to kick with and give you more speed for effort used but the problem is that they're not very responsive. meaning that if you're the sort that likes to turn around and manouver a lot rather then just swim in a more or less straight line then you wont like them.

take note that split fins are terrible for snorkelling.

if you like to just float around and swim leisurely and like a soft feel on the fins, then split fins are for you.

recommended buys :

Tusa xpert zoom (medium feel good speed)

Apollo biofins (soft feel good speed good durability but expensive)

atomic aquatic (stiffer feel good speed relatively cheaper)

Scubapro twin jet fins (about the same)

Now, if you prefer a slightly stiffer feel to your fins and want something more responsive, go for the standard fins. they're good for snorkelling, very versatile, generally more durable than the split fins.

good buys :

Tusa tri ex fins (not too stiff)
Mares superchannel (quite speedy)
mares avanti tre or quatro power (powerful fins but stiff)

now for the third and not so common with recreational divers category. the jet fins. tough as hell, indestructible with obscene amounts of power and fantasic manoueverability and used by naval divers all over the world. the only problem is that they weigh nearly 6lbs for a pair and they are very hard to kick with. i've been using them for a year now (not a scratch on them so far despite nearly a 100 dives on them) and i love mine.

so there, i hope this helps you!

Really? I have towed a diver more than twice my size with my tusa plits and it was a piece of cake! I will concede however that they take a little getting used to. I switched from paddles and it took a couple dive to get sorted. Stop the F.U.D.!!!!!!!

Perhaps your technique is superior to mine.

I have a pair of Atomic split fins, but two experiences caused me to lay them aside except for warm water snorkeling.

1) During a dive in St. Croix, conditions shifted and the current increased significantly. I barely made headway trying to return to the boat, while other divers who were using paddle fins just passed me by.

2) During rescue diver training, I had to tow someone weighing 300 lbs to shore pronto and I was wheezing by the time I got there. Other divers using paddle fins didn't work nearly as hard to complete the training scenarios.

Although I am reasonably fit and strong, I couldn't keep up with other divers when I used split fins in medium to heavy currents. I switched to paddle fins and don't regret the move.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom