Which drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dove in neoprene, crushed neoprene, and trilam. The one thing I didn't like in the neoprene is the stretchy/spring effect. They fit fairly snug but not like a wetsuit, you can still get some undergarments under there, however they still tend to spring your limbs back to a neutral position. So if you need to reach back to your tank, etc it tends to be more difficult as the suit wants to snap your arm back, you need to work a bit harder. The advantage is that it's easier to control air in the suit making venting easier. Trilam is easier to move around in but it's more baggy. you tend to get air trapped in the suit a bit more than with neoprene. You can also get folds in the suit that hurt if you get any squeeze. Crushed neoprene seemed to be the best of both. It's almost like a stiff version of the trilam. It's not as baggy as the trilam so air is easier to manage. Also, because it's stiffer it doesn't fold over and create painfull pressure points. It's durable as well, but the downside it's not cheap. Hope that helps.

DA Aquamaster:
The compression/bouyancy issues are pretty much an urban ledgend.

Compression is an issue, but you have to ask yourself what compresses more, neoprene or the air lofted in the heavier undergarments of a trilam?

So while a trilam may last 2-3 times as long, It is not really more economical.

So unless you are planning to stay completely motionless during the dive, drag is a factor that impacts SAC rate. The point is that if a neoprene suited diver is maintaining the same pace as his trilam suited buddy, he will be overcoming less drag, expending less energy and using less air even though we are only talking speeds in the 1/2 kt to 1 kt range.

It's a personal choice and the nice thing about drysuits is that people have a choice, but whatever you do, make it an informed choice.

Most of my buddies dive custom neoprenes. They become challenged when returning to shallower water... unless you're diving crushed/compressed neoprene, bouyancy and compression will make a difference. Not urban ledgend.

The insulation factor / lofting might be true for some types of thermals. I'm finding that with proper selection of the modern materials available out there, I'm wearing as little, or less, than my neoprene drysuit counterparts.... and lofting less. It's all in selecting the proper thermals.... not the ones that drysuit manufacturers would like you to buy from them at inflated prices. I'm diving a combination of Helly-Hansen and MEC thermals (polypropylene materials).

Agreed, the durability of a trilaminate is double edged sword, not to mention the additional cost to buy one new. But I think it is well worth it.

I agree with you on the theory of drag, but I think the results are negligible. I'm a pretty big guy (6 feet, 250lbs) ... I am able to breathe the same as (and in some cases) out breathe some of my experienced female dive buddies. The end result on an 80cuft tank is negligible, even at depth. I think technique can overcome this issue quite easily.

I don't stay completely motionless, but my movements are slow, deliberate, and waste the least amount of energy. Yes, I move very slowly through the water, but I conserve a LOT of air. In most cases, I hardly even move my legs, I flick my ankles... I do realize however, that not everyone may have legs / ankles as strong as mine.... so with that said, perhaps you might be right, pending circumstances and the diver.

I couldn't agree more with you about making an informed choice. Some people like GM, some like Ford, and others like Toyota. Find the one that works best for you.

Cheers! :thumbs-up

Back
Top Bottom