Which drysuit brand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheeler925

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Locally, DUI seems to be the goto brand for those with deep pockets. What other brands are reliable, available in the US with good customer support (Meaning, ability to send for repairs, etc). I've also looked at Hollis, but they don't seem to be very popular - any idea why?

I've owned Poseidon, USIA, DUI, Diving Concepts, and Waterproof drysuits. Waterproof has been the best. They are tougher on rocks and rusty metal. I can change wrist seals and neck seals in less than two minutes. Whenever I need repairs such as a plastic zipper to replace the steel one that comes with the suit, I send mine to Superior in Minnesota.

I just bought one Seaskin. It was a third less costly than an Apollo standard size drysuit. I suppose a second one will happen eventually, just to make sure I don't miss any diving when it needs repairs, if it needs repairs. I don't see why a local shop wouldn't be able to deal with it. It's not like any specific drysuit is made of some material that unobtainable.

For suit repairs, go to Ted at Stay Dri Scuba. Mail the suit Lake City, FL. You'll get it in top shape back. If you are curious about the brands, ask Ted. He'll give you feedback from the viewpoint of someone who deals with all the good and the bad.

As for DUI - I'd rather dive wet ;-)

As for DUI - I'd rather dive wet ;-)
I can’t tell if this comment is meant to be serious as sarcasm doesn’t always come through online.

Why would you rather dive wet than dive a DUI dry suit?

Which DUI dry suits have you dove?

Just looking for high information opinions.

Thanks.

I've had three DUI suits. One stayed dry. I sold it because I hated the zip seal drygloves. The other two leaked like a sieve every dive. One was a brand new suit with thousands of tiny pinholes in the material.

Locally, DUI seems to be the goto brand for those with deep pockets. What other brands are reliable, available in the US with good customer support (Meaning, ability to send for repairs, etc). I've also looked at Hollis, but they don't seem to be very popular - any idea why?
There is also Santi - I see you’re in the Midwest … DRIS out of Chicago is a dealer

I bought Otter after looking at the options. The build quality varies between the brands as does price. Seaskin is a favorite here on Scubaboard, the two Seaskins suits I looked at were not as robust as I wanted as I know how rough I can be on gear. I would suggest gather information, look at suits and be realistic on how you will use the suit, then buy what you feel meets your needs

I can’t tell if this comment is meant to be serious as sarcasm doesn’t always come through online.

Why would you rather dive wet than dive a DUI dry suit?

Which DUI dry suits have you dove?

Just looking for high information opinions.

Thanks.
Yes, it was sarcasm. Someone already replied about their experience. I briefly considered a DUI but I could not find a DUI owner who had no issues with the suit. My first suit was Bare which I absolutely loved.

Here is the issue with DUI - it is extremely expensive for what it is. If you are diving dry, make your suit custom. Custom DUI dry suits are > $3K , a very premium territory. At that price, I'd save up for something much better.

If you want a good suit on the budget, Seaskin all the way. You can get a custom made-to-measure suit for a very reasonable price. Otter is also a good suit, and that's what I am considering for a backup.

Back
Top Bottom