• OS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DC

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking into the dryglove scene and am only finding snippets of conversation on which gloves people find preferable and why. So, what sort of experiences have you had with your gloves?

Oh, and it seems to me that removable liners would be so much more useful. Am I misguided? And, if not, is it possible to use removable liners with the DC system? That is, is the ring system the important bit and the gloves consequential?

saying:
Looking into the dryglove scene and am only finding snippets of conversation on which gloves people find preferable and why. So, what sort of experiences have you had with your gloves?

Oh, and it seems to me that removable liners would be so much more useful. Am I misguided? And, if not, is it possible to use removable liners with the DC system? That is, is the ring system the important bit and the gloves consequential?

I have about 4 dives with my new DC neoprene dry gloves with removable fleece lining. The water temps for my dives has been cold - 35 degrees F the last several weeks.

So far these gloves are great. The snap attachment of the DC gloves is the best in my opinion. I am into my gloves faster than buddies with the zip or locking ring system. From my experience you definitely need wrist cinch straps to help keep your fingers close to the end of the glove fingertips. Otherwise when you are on the surface or reaching up the gloves will slide off your fingers a bit. I have two other buddies diving with the Smurf gloves and they both use the cinch straps for the same purpose. I have found it more difficult to manipulate my gear with the dry gloves. I'm sure this will just take some practice. The total amount of material on my fingers/hands is thicker than that of my wet gloves so I expected this challenge. The trade off is DRAMATICALLY warmer hands. To be able to dive in nearly ice cold water with comfortable hands is just awesome. Once you use them you will wonder why you ever used wet gloves.

Here is a link to the gloves (ring system) I am using: http://www.divingconcepts.com/link1.htm I believe this link shows the Smurf type glove rather than the neoprene.

--Matt

I'm using the skaana (same as diving concepts), and love them. The only trade off I see with the bare style is that they can be permanently attahced to suit, and you can attach wrist seal in cuff system temporarily. This way if a wrist seal is destroyed, you can replace it on site in about 1 min.

The built in liners are great if you never get them wet. Once they're wet, they don't dry, and they get really stinky. I cut my liners out and now wear a thin fleece glove underneath.

I have both Diving Concepts and OMS dryglove rings. I guess that I prefer using the DC rings over the OMS gloves. They seem a little easier to take off. In both case, they are easy enough to put on. The DC's are a bit easire to get apart.
Seattle Marine suppy is the cheapest place to find the smurf blue gloves and liners.

How about the sitech dry gloves (more partcularly, the ring system)? What are people's experiences with those? An LDS which just switched from DC to Sitech as their main brand tells me that they are easier to get off because of the twisty ring system which applies even pressure to pull the glove out of the seal. My only experience with the Sitechs so far is in trying to help get a stuck one off of someone's arm (Mark, chime in if you are reading this. Is this a usual occurence?). Seemed like sand got stuck in the twisty ring thingy or something.

-Dan

dbgordon:
How about the sitech dry gloves (more partcularly, the ring system)? What are people's experiences with those? An LDS which just switched from DC to Sitech as their main brand tells me that they are easier to get off because of the twisty ring system which applies even pressure to pull the glove out of the seal. My only experience with the Sitechs so far is in trying to help get a stuck one off of someone's arm (Mark, chime in if you are reading this. Is this a usual occurence?). Seemed like sand got stuck in the twisty ring thingy or something.

-Dan

That shop is wrong. I've had those too and they are a massive PITA!!!! You have to get someone to help you wrench those off! The DC system snaps on and off with total ease!

I think you may be over thinking this now Dan. Remember Joe, Delia, Andrew G. and most of the interns all have the DC system.

Back
Top Bottom