Which diver's watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ksporry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Guys,
I'm pretty new at this stuff and I'm looking for some advice on a dive watch/computer.
Actually I already narrowed it done quite a bit. Basically I'm in dubio between the Suunto D6i steel, and the Elementum Aqua negative/steel.
The D6i uses the Suunto DM4 software for tracking and sharing dive info, the latter doesn't have this. Unlike the D6i the latter also doesn't have the oxygen usage transmitter.
I spoke to one or two guys who told me the radio transmitters are a bit susceptible to failure. Now, I do realise the risk in using digital stuff, especially radio signals, so I was planning to get a normal gauge in any case, but it would be nice to track my own consumption on my computer. However, if I get a suunto cobra 3 then I can do that in any case.
I also realise that having shiny steel isn't the best, but they are cosmetically more appealing when not diving (sorry, the above water life also wants to benefit from the new watch...).
Price doesn't seem a big difference, maybe 50-100GBP (100-150 USD) difference, so that won't be the biggest driver.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PS. If someone knows of equivalent watches, then I'm all ears!

You need to decide if you want a watch—which you will use in conjunction with a depth gauge and tables—or a computer, which monitors depth and time and calculates nitrogen absorption. The Suunto D6i and Cobra 3 are computers. I prefer a computer for diving, and a watch for everything else. A dive watch can be useful as a backup to your computer, as well.

These are a couple of threads I've posted to recently:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...44272-how-reliable-hoseless-transmitters.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...7326-usefulness-diving-watch.html#post6653475

They only scratch the surface. There are a ton of threads on the topic. Do some searching around.

I use either a Casio g shock or my scubapro meridian (set in depth gauge mode) as backup.

the links give me some good indications. I kinda conclude that the more recent dive computers are a lot more mature and reliable. I guess that means I can do with a good unit like the D6i, and use a simple hosed console as backup. Although, since I learned using tables, i guess it's more likely to be the other way around. Which bing sme to a comment I read on one of the links, about not being able to use tables etc. As a beginner I have to say I agree: don't certificate someone who cannot use tables and basic consoles. Sure they are conservative, but lets be honest, what's better: A shorter but pleasant and memorable dive, or a long one and get the bends (or worse)...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom