Which Dive Shop? Honolulu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the shout outs boys....... Let's see if I can update a few pieces of info"

1) Sean no longer owns Reef Pirates. Under their new owner they continue to offer 6pax dive boat "Hapa" out of Koko Marina. Aquazone has a smaller boat out of Hawaii Kai as well as Waikiki Dive center. I am uncertain how they schedule their Hawaii Kai trips.

2) Our boat is also a 6pax (Custom 30 footer) with dry storage, rinse bin for large cameras, shower, snacks, cold drinks, shade canopy etc. We run on the South Shore and access dive sites from the YO 257 to some of the lesser dive sites out by the Airport.

Give us a shout if you have further questions......

Mahalo!

Gabe,
sent you an email!
I'm looking forward to dive with you guys if things line up.

Hi stuartv,
Island Divers does three boat charters daily, a 8:30am advanced trip, a 9:00am beginner trip, and a 12:30pm intermediate trip. If you are military and ask for that rate over the phone, it is $74. You can get 4 dives in with transportation included pretty much every day except Sunday, when you can only get a 3 tanker.
As far as you cousin goes, can't say I'm a fan of his unsupported opinion. Island Divers did have a fatality in 2011, but that diver was noticed missing from the group immediately while underwater and an exhaustive on site search was conducted. When that didn't find him, we searched for two more days. One day longer than the USCG. Ask Scottitheduck, he came out to help. Sadly, he was never found. Okay, that was tragic, but while no one can really be blamed for repeating what they may have heard on the internet, the below:
I asked about Island Divers as they look to be a big operation and cheap prices. The cousin's response was "They lose divers. Im not a fan. Seriously, ID is not a good company I would recommend to a friend."
It is simply just not true that "they lose divers". I hope your cousin at least has some other reason not to recommend us besides misinformation that he?she may have picked up on the internet. We are a pretty large operation now, and as with anything, not everything goes perfectly every day. But day to day, every day, three times a day, a very experienced, friendly and professional crew takes groups of divers to experience the beauty of the ocean. We do it well, with larger, USCG certified boats, and an amazingly convenient marina side location with boats out the back door.

Check this out for a safety option. If you book the morning am advanced charter, you get to hear this every day at the dock before the boat departs as part of the Sea Fox vessel safety briefing. "This is the advanced am boat, we are headed out for a deep wreck and then most likely a drift dive. By staying on the boat you are telling us that you are feeling confident that your dive skills are up to this plan. If you are not feeling confident, the boat on the other side of the dock here leaves 30 minutes from now and does 2 shallow dives out of the current. There is no extra charge and we can get you back to the hotel at about the same time, so after this briefing if anyone would like to change boats let us know and we can make that happen". Now try and find that in another Hawaii operation! Granted, we don't get many people changing boats, maybe once a month, but the option is there.

There two locations as Schofield that you can find us, one in the MWR building at 435 Ulrich Way, and in the Base Exchange. If it was this past Sunday you were diving, here is the daily dive report. Give us a try sometime. We'd love the chance to prove the cousin wrong.
WATCH OUT FOR THAT . . . 15 feb | Island Divers Hawaii

---------- Post added February 16th, 2015 at 06:28 AM ----------

Personally, I find their aggressive pushing of overpriced and barely substantive training and gear to local military kids with VA/GI bill benefits burning a hole in their pockets pretty disgusting...but the libertarian in me says whatever makes all parties happy.
Dear Dr. Lector,
Since I'm in the groove, I'd might as well respond to your post as well. While we do advertise our VA approved programs (listen for us on the radio later this month), I'm not sure why you believe they are overpriced. Here is a quick breakdown of costs up to instructor, they are pretty much at or below market price.
OW: $195
AOW: $195
EFR: $125
Rescue: $295
DM: $915.50
AI/OWSI/EFRI combo: $1613.75

And yes, we also issue equipment to students all at MSRP. In fact, it is the draw of equipment that brings many of the students into the program. Originally, the program did not include equipment, it was at the request of "local military kids" that we did move the cost of equipment into the program. As far as the quality of the equipment, it is top of the line: Legend regulators, Black Ice BCD, Cobra computer and a full set of personal dive equipment - wetsuit, mask, fins, boots as well as safety marker and spool.

The pricing is fair and was reviewed by both the State and the VA before getting approved, I might add.

Barely substantive? Well, the program from Open Water to Divemaster is 11 weeks long and the commitment is 22 hours a week. The program participants meet twice a week on weekdays - 3 hours - and every weekend day for 8 hours. We add extra time during the OW and AOW to get a total of 260 hours of training. For those of you with experience in the dive industry, you will understand how rare it is to come across a PADI program that actually runs the full amount of suggested training hours listed in the PADI instructor manual. Yes, the divemaster that comes out of this program would probably need some seasoning before they were hired into a professional dive operation, but guess what? We can provide that too.

I appreciate to opportunity to get a little information out about the Hawaii Scuba University program that your comment provided. The libertarian in me rejoices. Thanks Dr. Lector

Since I'm on a roll, I would like to point out the program has appeal beyond "local military kids with VA/GI bill benefits burning a hole in their pockets". Non active duty veterans also collect BAH while in the program, which in HI is $2709 a month, a pretty nice stipend to live while you become an instructor. In fact, those of you with ties in the industry feel free to email me if you are looking for qualified dive professionals for your organizations. The list of local dive operators that we have provided qualified instructors for is growing. This list of mainland states that students have traveled from to participate is growing as well.

Last edited:
I asked about Island Divers as they look to be a big operation and cheap prices. The cousin's response was "They lose divers. Im not a fan. Seriously, ID is not a good company I would recommend to a friend."

I'm sorry, but that's a bit of a ridiculous statement. There was one fatality about four years ago, and it was not a fault of the dive operation. I have conducted dives with most operations on the island since I've lived here, and they're top notch. There's always a boat roster...and well yeah that's a terrible statement to make.

scottitheduck is Gabe, yeah.

ID is sub-optimal for reasons other than losing divers, which can happen to the best ops; mainly, they're more of a cattleboat operation and a number of locals seem to find fault with the attitude of ID's owner. Personally, I find their aggressive pushing of overpriced and barely substantive training and gear to local military kids with VA/GI bill benefits burning a hole in their pockets pretty disgusting...but the libertarian in me says whatever makes all parties happy.

ID does run some pretty good regular trips you might have a harder time nailing down a smaller op on (like three tanker wreck trips where you know in advance you'll get at least two deeper wreck dives in). And while I'm not a fan of them as a whole, some of their DMs/instructors that been out with were really great. I would recommend ID over Ocean Legends any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
A lot of people appreciate this program, and frankly I just finished a seven week divemaster course followed by my OWSI course with them. Both my wife and I went through their program, and it wasn't all GI Bill related. Their course director and IDC staff are top notch, and we as a dive shop just had six people graduate the IE yesterday, more than any other shop that participated. It's a good program. My wife and I took vacation time to take the course, and it kicked our butt. We didn't skip a single minute of instruction. The IDC staff and CD spent so much extra time on top of the curriculum with us to make sure everyone was ridiculously solid on all skills. I saw the candidates at the IE, and Island Divers represented the island very well as a whole. I'd be the first to tell you I wasted my money, if I felt that I had.

Furthermore, every operation runs into hiccups with employees. But Matt (the owner) and John (the course director), as well as other staff, take care of it immediately.

A lot of people appreciate this program, and frankly I just finished a seven week divemaster course followed by my OWSI course with them. Both my wife and I went through their program, and it wasn't all GI Bill related. Their course director and IDC staff are top notch, and we as a dive shop just had six people graduate the IE yesterday, more than any other shop that participated. It's a good program. My wife and I took vacation time to take the course, and it kicked our butt. We didn't skip a single minute of instruction. The IDC staff and CD spent so much extra time on top of the curriculum with us to make sure everyone was ridiculously solid on all skills. I saw the candidates at the IE, and Island Divers represented the island very well as a whole. I'd be the first to tell you I wasted my money, if I felt that I had.

<shrug> Bully for you. What I saw of the results of their zero-to-hero program, in the form of another student in my CCR class through ID last year, did not inspire confidence. While a hell of a nice guy, he did not have the skills necessary to be comfortable in the water and nearly panicked himself to death on the Sea Tiger during a bailout/return to loop drill because of it. He wound up in the chamber and was mercifully fine, but I don't know how he had been certified as a DM much less an instructor. Most of the diving in Hawaii is pretty benign, but at some point going along to get along needs to yield to calling it as you see it, because on the rare occasion things do go sideways confidence and skills really can be the difference between close call and hurt/dead.

Then again, the kind of diving I do tends not to involve tourist herding or recreational depths, and as Matt said above I may be overthinking what level of ability newly minted DMs/Instructors should have. But from what I've seen I wouldn't send someone I cared about to them unless I was already 100% confident in their ability to look after themselves underwater. I don't in any way want to make claims about everyone the program has turned out, but I have seen at least one output that scared me and that's really all it may take. YMMV.

That's true, but at every level of any professional organization there needs to be an understanding that every person that graduates isn't going to be awesome. From anything. There are crappy lawyers, doctors, soldiers, police officers, and divers. They all passed, but that doesn't mean that Yale is a crappy college with poor instructional programs if they spit out a crappy lawyer.

It sounds to me like the majority of your experience came from the interaction with one student. Or at least the biggest part of your opinion.

That's true, but at every level of any professional organization there needs to be an understanding that every person that graduates isn't going to be awesome. From anything. There are crappy lawyers, doctors, soldiers, police officers, and divers. They all passed, but that doesn't mean that Yale is a crappy college with poor instructional programs if they spit out a crappy lawyer.

It sounds to me like the majority of your experience came from the interaction with one student. Or at least the biggest part of your opinion.

Yeah, no, there are a few other specific reasons; but this thread doesn't need to turn into a 'issues Lecter has had with ID' thread any more than it already has. Primarily because the OP is looking at diving for fun, not getting PADI "pro" training.

As I noted in my first post about ID up above, I think they have some issues but they also run a lot of good trips (but for the love of all that's holy, avoid that barge out of Hawaii Kai) and while they'd not be my first choice unless someone was looking for a 3 tanker wreck charter I'd recommend them ahead of certain other popular ops on the island. Beyond that, everyone should do their own due diligence and dive with whomever they like - aside from occasionally catching a ride on Kilikina or Nacho, my opinions on Oahu rec ops haven't been backed by frequent charters for several years now and I'm happy to admit they can be taken with a healthy portion of salt.

I got my AOW through Island Divers way back in 2006 while on an extended business trip to Oahu. Matt even led the night dive (Spitting Reef) and taught me the best lesson ever about how to locate the balance of your party if you get separated at night.
Backstory: Matt first briefed us on how to locate the balance of the party (hold your light against your chest to block the light, let your eyes adjust and viola there they are). But of course that lesson was lost on me in the ramp-up to my first night dive--damn that water looks black at night). So he gave us a reasonably complication navigation course, sent us off, and turned off his light to watch. As expected, we became lost and promptly forgot the briefing about how to rejoin the group

We were never in any jeopardy and I'll never forget that lesson. I'll not confess any great love for Oahu, but if I ever return. Island Divers without a doubt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom