which digital camera to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me second the choice of this camera and housing. The built in macro has allowed me to get some pretty neat pictures. Send me a PM if you'd like a link to some of the pictures I've taken with it.

A hint on the housing - buy it from Wal-Mart.com. They only charge you $5.95 for shipping instaed of the $20 the other places do. And they'd be much easier to deal with if you need to send it back for any reason.

Marc

Wendy:
Oh I wish I could meet up with you guys, but I work during the week.

Thanks for the backing on the A70, I went to look at it at lunch and i liked it. I found a place that has it for $309 and that includes a 256mb card, and then you get a $15 rebate, so it endds up being $294. But they are out of stock and then I'd have to wait, etc, so I may just get it from best buy for $299, but the housing I foudn on liine was $169 that sounded good.

Thanks everyone for your help.
I just went through the same thing Wendy. Staying up until 2 am searching the web for the right camera. I finally went with the Oly Stylus 410. It's a 4mp weather "proof" compact camera with macro. The camera was 299. Housing was 139. It's a really nice, compact package.

iscuba:
I just went through the same thing Wendy. Staying up until 2 am searching the web for the right camera. I finally went with the Oly Stylus 410. It's a 4mp weather "proof" compact camera with macro. The camera was 299. Housing was 139. It's a really nice, compact package.

Wendy,

:wink: Dee's advice about the 4MP v. anything smaller is really quite good advice. You may not "print" larger snaps, but you'll likely share them and want to use them for "wall paper" - and that is where the extra pixels will really shine.

Additionally, I do think that iscuba made a good recomendation (from a value perspective) with the Oly Stylus and housing. I do like Cannon, but if you stick with that brand, don't sell yourself short by getting the cheaper A70 - go with the A80 instead.

Wendy,
Like stated above use these comments as suggestions only. If you reaaly like the Sony's for a particular reason then buy it, Sony makes fine cameras.

With that said I'll tell you to look at the Oylmpus line as well. I have one that I use at work...OLY C-730. It is an excellent camera for the price with 3.2 megs. I was thinking on getting one for my personal use. The C-740 has all the same features except it only takes one type of memory card unlike the C-730 which handles two types. Circuit City has them for 399.99. After chebking into this I discovered that from the OLY website they make a housing for this camera as well that has I believe a 130 depth and it was about 160.00.

Check out the posts that RickB has in the Oly Corner about this setup he even posted some pics.

Wildbill:cop_2:

I think I will go with the cannon a70. I read good reviews on it, I hear the video feature is good on it with sound as well. I can get it and a 256mb card for just a little over $350 and the housing is like $170. So I won't be blowing my entire refund check on it. And honestly I don't think I'd print anything over 5x7 with it. Plus this one you can use outside strobes with the housing and there are different lens attachments for when I am not using the housing.

Oh and in case anyone is curious of the kinda things I do here at work, I took this picture with a 1.2mp camera from off of a styrofoam cup.

FLL Diver:
Let me second the choice of this camera and housing. The built in macro has allowed me to get some pretty neat pictures. Send me a PM if you'd like a link to some of the pictures I've taken with it.

A hint on the housing - buy it from Wal-Mart.com. They only charge you $5.95 for shipping instaed of the $20 the other places do. And they'd be much easier to deal with if you need to send it back for any reason.

Marc

Walmart.com kicks butt. Low shipping price and way cheaper than best buy.

Wendy:
Walmart.com kicks butt. Low shipping price and way cheaper than best buy.

Check out www.buydig.com - they have it for $229. I ordered with them a couple of weeks ago and they were fantastic!

Camera sounds great, Canon makes some great gear.

Check this link for some additional pricing and review information

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom