Which Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and also to diving.

I completed my PADI OW on holiday in September with my wife and we currently doing our AOW now we're back home in the UK.

One of the first items of kit (after mask + snorkel) we'd like to get is a dive computer each.

I'd quite like a watch type one, to wear as a watch and also as a dive computer. I've been looking at the D6i and also the oceanic atom 3.0. I'd just buy the computer at the moment and be able to add the transmitter at a later date when I get regs etc. Has anyone any experience of these computers and which is best? I'd like a good computer that I can grow into as my experience levels increase but don't want to waste money on features im likely to never use.

As my wife doesnt want a watch type computer we're thinking of just a wrist mounted computer such as the zoop is i get the suunteo or an oceanic model if I go for the Atom 3.0.

I'd welcome any comment/advise and any suggestions of alternatives from the computers i've mentioned.

Many Thanks

Andrew.

The Atom 3.0 would be a great choice. I've used the Atom 2.0 and currently use the Oceanic VT 3. The VT 3 and Atom 2.0 are the same computer with respect to the functions. The VT 3, however, is bigger, whereas the Atom can easily double as a great looking watch. That being said, though, the larger face real estate of the VT 3 is easy to see while diving, while the Atom is a little more difficult to read, as it's a smaller display. The counterpart of the Atom 3.0 is the VT 4. Some of the online dive shops sell the VT 3 for 550 bucks WITH the transmitter, which is a great deal. Once you go hoseless, you won't go back!

For your wife, I'd recommend the Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1. Another great computer you can get a great deal on if you surf around. It's AI, great display and easy to use.

I don't work for Oceanic, just have used 4 different models and have had absolutely no problems with them. I have called their customer service department to ask questions and they have been outstanding to deal with. Also, the batteries in their computers are user replaceable, allowing you to carry spares, which can save a dive and/or save money when they have to be replaced.

There are a lot of great computers out there. Although I've used other computers, I'm just partial to Oceanic simply because mine have operated flawlessly.

Why don't you get identical computers for the both of you. The Pro Plus is a console so it's different psychomotor skills and somewhat different style of diving. Don't you want to be like twins so you can be doing the same thing as you dive? And only one manual.

Atom 3.0 all the way, I dive with one myself and absolutly love it. Prob the best computer I have ever dove with. The nice thing about the Oceanic over the Suunto is you can dive more libral if you want. You get to chose how you want to dive. If you go with the Atom 3.0 get the complete set with the transmitter and cable. It is much cheeper all together then buying it a piece at a time. I love my Oceanic Atom 3.0, as for you wife. If she wants a wrist mount I would go with the VT 4. Otherwise for a console go with the Pro Plus or the VEO 3.0. Oceanic is doing a sale right now with the Pro Plus so you can get it at a great deal. You will not be unhappy with an Oceanic, they are the only computers I would ever buy.

Our Dive Computers Research Tool might help you.

Additionally we have tons of videos and classes showing several dive computers in action and/or you can take those dive computers for virtual dives using our simulators.
Here a screen shot of divePAL equipped with the Atom 3.0

divepal_oceanic_atom3.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom