Which cert card to present

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highest.

just because he only shows an OW card doesn't mean he is free of his professional obligations.

BTW, only DM or higher is professional. rescue is still a rec cert.

Yes, I know that Rescue is not a pro cert, but I threw it in there because possibly in a court of law that cert might hold one to a higher standard in an emergency.

Yes, I know that Rescue is not a pro cert, but I threw it in there because possibly in a court of law that cert might hold one to a higher standard in an emergency.
Rescue cert should have "zero" standard in an emergency.

If there is an incident the bottom feeding lawyers get everyone in their sights and get eventually find out everyone's certification level. Try to hide the face you are a "dive pro" and it will be discovered.
Dive pros carry liability insurance and there for the insurance company has deep pockets.
I was on a charter where a fatality occurred. Even though I was a paying passenger, had no co,none it on to the diver that died, I was sued. Went no where , was found that I had no liability with the incident , my liability insurance worked and costs me nothing financially.
As to getting stuck with a newbie, simple solution, inform crew that you expect your charter to be no charge and that you charge $200. Per dive to accompany said newbie. Shuts them down real fast. If it does not then look at it this way , for a two tank dive you just made $400. :) to swim around a bit in circles.
great idea-
oly5050user
I got to use that one...

I use one of my tech instructor cards or Solo instructor card. As others have said, hiding a cert is useless if something happens. If they tell me to buddy up with a new person I say no. If they ask me to I tell them I get the trip for free plus paid for the dive. As oly said that usually ends it.

If a new diver asks me and I don't have a prior goal that is beyond their training and experience, and they are honest with me about their own skills and gas usage, I will probably say yes. Not definite but a good chance I will.

My first trip to the keys I was buddied up with a supposed DM for a dive to the Spiegle Grove. I wanted to go to the well deck and told him so. Just as we were about to splash I said "we're going the well deck right? 120 ft max." It was then he informed me that he doesn't dive below 80 feet.

I said fine, you can watch me from above. Did the second dive on the reef solo.

No one is under any obligation to dive with someone they don't know. I try to hook up with someone who is on the same page as I am. Sometimes it's an agreement to splash together and get back on the boat together. What happens in between is left to each to decide.

I show my DM card. Have never had any problems and a time or two have even been told to go solo because of how the buddy set-up was shaking out. Obligations-legal or otherwise- of having a pro cert. has been discussed at length on the Going Pro sub-forum. Lots of opinions and input from lawyer/divers. Seems every case is different.

I just show my aow card or nitrox card. The boat cant say they assumed I accepted their duties. Whether it makes a difference or not, I don't care, It makes me feel better. IMO as an aow I have no obligation real or perceived to be aware of anyone but me and my buddy.

highest.

just because he only shows an OW card doesn't mean he is free of his professional obligations.

That may be true, but it does avoid the "Oh, so you're a doctor? Well since we're chatting let me ask you about this pain I have in my...." questions.

Inevitably as soon as someone finds out I have a Phd in technology and have worked as a network admin for 25 years, there's the "Yeah well, hey my computer is doing this weird thing..." question that usually ends up in me either spending 20 minutes telling them what they need to do to fix their problem, or either them getting offended when I don't want to leave work and then answer more work questions. :)

I usually show my VISA or MASTERCARD... that's enough in most cases.

I bring my OW, Nitrox, and Solo cards. That covers any circumstance and allows me to be "not babysat" and "not babysitter".

Back
Top Bottom