Which BCDs would you choose??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_original_flyboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

If given choice, would you choose Zeagle Brigade, Zeagle Ranger or Dive Rite Transpac? Why?

I couldn't make up my mind which one to get and the chance to go Tech dive is low in next two years, but I wouldnot say never :wink:

Thx.

RJ

Other than tech are you planning on travel? If so, go with the Brigade. I have a Ranger and love it but for travel it is a bit of a pain. I have not dove with a Backplate but those that do love them. I would try one out before purchasing.

If you are going to travel take a look at the Stiletto. Even if you are not going to travel look at the Stiletto.

You do not need to tech dive to enjoy a bp/w. Do your own research, check your budget and then go get fitted.

The Zeagle Ranger and Dive Rite Transpac are both solid dive platforms that would serve you well.

I had the Brigade first and liked it a lot. It wasn't until I started traveling with it that I started looking for something smaller. It was a bit bulky to pack. I looked at the Stiletto and it is smaller, but not really much smaller. Also, I don't really like cumberbunds that much.

So I bought a Dive Rite Transpac and started messing with it. At first it was too bulky for me as well, but I started playing around the configuration a bit until I found a setup I was happy with which consists of removing all the padding and going to the Travel wing. The first thing I noticed was I needed about 4lbs less weight to dive this setup that the Brigade which I liked.

Also I played with a few different weight pocket systems. First I had the Dive Rite 32lb weight system, but it was really overkill for the types of warm water diving I do. I'm a big guy so I need between 2-18lbs of weight depending on exposure suit and salinity of the water. Based on that I looked for weight systems that held that much.

The DiveRIte 16lb weight pockets were a little light and also really expensive for what you get. I tried using some really inexpensive XS Scuba 5lb velcro pockets for a while and they worked, but I was not really happy with the setup. I thought about switching to either Dive Rite or OMS clipper pockets to replace them, but stumbled upon another idea. I stole the rear weight pockets off my daughter's Brigade :)

They have a zipper top, quick release velcro bottom and hold 10lbs each. This was perfect for my up to 18lbs need. I am using this setup now and really like the convenience of it. Plus the Zeagle pockets are about half the price of the Dive Rite 16 or 32lb pockets as well. I think Zeagle makes a pocket specifically for backplates that would probably work better, but I had these in the house, so I went ahead and used them.

Things I felt like I gained with the Transpac is a bit of quality and modularity. I think the DR BCDs are made a little better than the Zeagles. That's an just an opinion though, but the I think the modularity is a lot better with the Transpac as you can literally make it as much or as little as you want. While the Zeagles can do that to a point, the Transpac is better at it, imo. The big thing is I really like the fact I can customize the Transpac to me. Build it exactly as I like it and change that config on the fly for the needs of the dive. Add a pocket, add a D-ring, remove a pocket, etc. Just whatever I need for the dive. I enjoy only taking the config that I need into the water with me.

The things I miss about my Zeagle Brigade at this point... probably just the yellow weight pouches that go in the weight pockets. Those were nice for staging all you weight and easily taking it in and out of your BCD. Other than that, I really prefer the Transpac to my old Zeagle.

The BP/W (Back Plate & Wing) setup is another option. I tried this and didn't like the loss of comfort and adjustability in the harness nor did I like the inherent weight of the stainless steel back plate. I like for my BCD to be light, then add the weight at the dive site. Plus I wasn't big on the hard plate against my back. If I went tech, I would get one for sure, but for warm water rec diving I prefer the Transpac.

The Transpac is a bit expensive though. The Brigade with the Scubaboard discount is like $360. That's a pretty smoking deal on a really good BCD and hard to beat. I like the differences about the Transpac enough to pay the extra money for it. Modularity costs more in the scuba world I guess.

About the size and packability my Transpac is almost as small as a BP/W for packing. For comparison, here is a picture of my daughter's small Zeagle Brigade hanging next to my 2XL DiveRite Transpac:

http://elliscountyequine.org/images/100_0491.jpg

Sorry to ramble on, its just a topic fresh on my mind. Hope this helps.

Which: Brigade

WHy: It's the bomb.

I own a Zeagle Ranger, its a great BC, but as AggieDad mentioned, it a pain in the *** when traveling. IMO, the DiveRite Transpac is better than the Ranger because its more modular, you can change the bladder depending where you're diving and you get better trim. Either way, both are great BC's.

Good Question-
Both are excellent BC’s and have there pros and cons.

The Zeagle products makes a great lake BC’s and cover the season for lake diving.
The Transpac is truly modular allowing the diver to change the BC to his/her needs.

I have dove both systems and own a Zeagle Niterunner (discontinued) close to the Ranger. My personal next purchase will be the Transpac with dual wings.

But I think that you should consider what you want to do long term because of the expense.

Traveling
Transpac is modular so you can remove certain things like the pockets and that allows you to lighten your BC. The Zeagle has the pockets sewn on.

Zeagle has a series of wings for there units but people do not usually change them out as much. Where it is more common for people to change out the wings on the Transpac.

Comfort- You should serious try on both in the store.
Transpac- You will notice that the Transpac will ride higher on your back. I find that this results in LESS lower back pain and aches.

Zeagle- This is a little different that you first adjust the shoulder straps and then tighten the waist. It is comfortable but take time to adjust to this system.

Comment- Instructors tend to stand around helping students and a jacketed BC’s will make your lower back feel like jello.

Drawbacks-
Transpac- its only drawback for me is Cost. Yes the price is damn expensive but it is like buying a laptop. You buy the base unit and then add the extras over time.
Zeagle- Cordona is very heavy when wet, traveling, and in warm waters it is overkill. The lightweight material does not stand up nearly as well. I had a friend that had the Zeagle Escape and he had so many problems that he got upset and sold it. He is now in a more traditional BC.

Technical- Unless you are wearing lightweight Al 80’s. Then neither is really appropriate. Both require plates, or stiffing devices.

My rules are the following-
Summer/ photography diver warm water- 20lbs of lift
Lake diver heavier wetsuits, and colder conditions- 40lbs of lift

If you plan on wearing a drysuit- make sure that the waist on a zeagle will accomidate the drysuit. Mine works but looks like I a stuffing 5 lbs into a 2lbs bag. This is becaude of the bulk of the drysuit and undergarments.

My future setup will be a Transpac with two wings. One for summer conditions and one for colder lake diving.
But there is no way I am giving up my Zeagle- what it is to be conflicted. Hehehehe

Andrew

There is another opinion here, mate.
DUI makes the weight and trim system.
Link- http://www.dui-online.com/bc_wt.htm
My wife purchased it for me two years ago and they work out great.
I wear 25-30lbs in my drysuit; 10lbs in the BC and the rest go into weight and trim system.
Also talk to your local dive shop they can get you a XS scuba weight belt with changeable pockets. Slide the pockets off the belt and onto your Transpac, you just have to check for the shoulder sliders and the pockets.

Regards, Andrew

Jarrett:
The things I miss about my Zeagle Brigade at this point... probably just the yellow weight pouches that go in the weight pockets. Those were nice for staging all you weight and easily taking it in and out of your BCD. Other than that, I really prefer the Transpac to my old Zeagle.

Transplate?!? The transpack is a plastic backplate last I saw, if you get the transplate, you could get more use out of it, and drop some lbs off the weight belt. Or go with a pure BP/W setup

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom