Which BCD for a Girl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My female students see no real differences. What they do say is that SOME of the female specific BC's are bulky and use too much material. A number of female divers on this board like backplate and wing combo's because of the huge range of adjustment and once it is adjusted it stays there. I have also found real success with the Zeagle Express Tech as it is so similar to a BPW but with a plastic pack. I am 5'7" and weigh 165 or so. I took mine and have had it on a kid who was barely 5 ft and 100 lbs and on a female 5'9" heavier than me with a how shall I say "generous" chest and fitting it to either of them took about 5 minutes tops and both liked how comfortable it was. Many recreational bc's in general are uncomfortable, have poorly designed pockets, not enough d rings, too many drings, or not in the right place d rings. I recommend taking a serious look at your self and the diving you think you will do in the future. Look at your budget. More money does not equal a good product if it does not fit you or do what you want it to. If it has pockets, clips, rings etc are they where you need them and can access them easily? A $600 ScubaPro jacket bc to me is worthless. My $250 Zeagle is worth ten times that in it's convenience, fit, utility, and ease of adjustment.

Although I totally agree that the exp tech is worth considering, not everyone prefers back inflate bcds.

There are lots of good women's bcds out there n she should really try one on for size.

However, if back inflate is your thing I really like the express tech n this package from scubatoys:

BackPlate and Wing Package reviews and discounts, Dive Rite

Get the deluxe harness n you've got a durable setup even you can use : )

SangP

I have 2 BC's..I started diving with the Aqualung Pearl I3 after wearing a dreadful BC during certification. I really like this BC and continue to use it in cold water. Last year my husband bought me the Aqualung Zuma which is a light travel BC. Recently returned from a trip to Australia where I used it 25 times and it was also very comfortable.

As for size am slightly larger than the OPs girlfriend but these work well.

Let us know what you decide.

As a female diver of 18 years I find the whole female specific BC thing more of a sales gimmick. Its true that woman come it many shape and sizes. So it is nice to have a bigger selection. What I suggest is have her try them on and inflate them. The right fit is more important then if it comes in pink.

I have the Oceanic Hera and love it! Its fits perfect and its very comfortable. I guess it all comes down to what fits best and whats most comfortable.

I just purchased the Aqua Lung Zuma and LOVE it. I have a large chest and the Zuma is really comfortable for me. It feels almost like you have no BC on at all while diving. When I dove in the jacket style BCs I always felt very constricted, especially when the BC was inflated. I don't have that problem at all with the Zuma. I highly recommend.

My wife was very uncomfortable with unisex rental BCs--her back always hurt, and they pinched her chest. So, for her first BC, I bought her (then still my fiancee) a Zeagle Zena, with the lumbar pad option. I measured her and matched the measurements to the Zeagle fitting chart so I could individually select the size of each of the modular components that make up the BC. Turns out she needed Large vest and front panel components but a Medium shoulder component. She says it's a Cadillac ride--comfort all the way.

Another loud vote for a bp/w. I'm curvy and my bp/w fits like no other bcd could; it's extremely comfortable. For all the reasons written about here over and over, I love the way it performs and feels in and out of the water. I've travelled with it and it does travel better than almost any other bcd. Keep in mind you can get aluminum backplates to keep the weight down, if you wish.

I'll never own anything else.

I also am looking for the perfect BC - just tried the Zuma and while it is comfortable and really light - I wish it had a quick release buckle system - it's hard to get in and out of and would be difficult to ditch in a hurry - the adjusting buckle on the strap seems a bit flimsy but that must be the trade off for being 4 lbs...

i used a scubapro litehawk yesterday. I wore it in a shortie, I wore a 2 lb weightbelt. Very easy to don/doff u/w & surface. I was very stable and comfortable u/w, and floated nicely on the surface.

Have not seen the Lighthawk in our stores - what's the weight on that BC? Did I ear that it does not have integrated weights? (You certainly don't travel with them do you...)

Back
Top Bottom