Which BC for less than $300??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

let me try this, is a BP/W recommended for beginners? I am about to do my check-out dives Sept 27/28/29 and would like to have my own BC for this....

I know it is exciting you are about to get certified, but I highly recommend not rushing into buying a BC. Use the shops BC for your check out dives.

Get some dives under your belt, try different styles and options, like jacket, back inflate, BP/W, weight integrated, weight belt. Where most of your diving will take place, will be a factor in the type of BC you should buy. Cold water, warm water, vacation/travel only, etc.. It may take a little while for you to discover you will or will not be a cold water diver or a vacation only diver.

Many people are no longer diving with the 1st BC they bought. Mainly because they discovered something that fit's their needs better after they gained some experience and/or tried the options.

Even a BP/W with all it's versatility has it's limitations. BP/W rigs optimized for cold water are different than warm water.

IMHO, your own mask and regulator are higher on the priority list.

Ronscuba Definitely has a point. On the flipside however it can take some people 25, 50, or even 75 dives before they formulate their true desires and needs.

In that situation a BP\W will offer most variability. I started out with a halcyon stainless steel backplate and 30 pound wing. When I stopped cold water diving and stuck to the Caribbean I swapped out my stainless steel plate for an aluminum one. By selling my old one on eBay I was out the total of $25.

My initial Halcyon was bought seven years ago and the only thing I would have done differently is a marginally smaller wing (27-28 vs 30). Despite that I am completely satisfied with my current setup.

If I had gone into doubles with cold water diving I would have needed totally different setup and would still have needed a another setup for warm water diving.

Take-home message is that it is not unreasonable to wait until certified to assess just how much and what kind of diving you will do but at the same time it might be well into your diving career before your diving pattern is firmly established. Not all redo buys are due to faulty initial choices.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Personally I stay away from anything TUSA as the company make 'special' fitting things making it impossible to repair stuff unless you buy the 'special' TUSA tools. I hate that.

Not too sure on the others but the Oceanic looks alright for my money. I also like Back Inflate BCDs

The Oceanic Islander was my first BCD and it is still my only BCD. I have had it for 4 years and it still looks brand new. I clip cameras, lights, lobster gear and even dive with a pony with no problems. I love it. It travels beautifully. Very light weight. If it has enough lift for you I highly recommend it.

If you like the looks of the Excursion, Eric has one for sell. It's in beautiful shape. Size Large. Let me know if interested and I'll post pics.

Where will you do most of your diving? If you will mostly do tropical diving,than a jacket BC with a small amount of lift should be fine. If you will be diving locally in the lakes,consider a wing, with 30 lbs or so of lift, to make sure you will not outgrow the wing and will be able to use a full exposure suit,which will require a bunch of lead.
I'm not sure how you can buy a BC when you don't know how much lift you need. Although, if you purchase a wing with about 30 lbs of lift you should be in the ballpark for cold water diving.
Unfortunately, with jacket BCs, they are also more bouyant, sometimes by a lot, which means they may require even more lead. This may require you to add more lead than your wing can handle, something that is often not taken into consideration when first purchasing a jacket BC.
I didn't realize it at first and when I started diving a drysuit, I realized that my old jacket BC was woefully under capacity, being a small, tropical travel BC. Although, I think my old jacket had also developed some leaks,which was causing even more issues with capacity.

Unfortunately, you can't try out your BC before a class, either. Which means you can't figure out if it will have enough lift for you. With a jacket BC, its still important to make sure you have a balanced rig, if you have integrated weights it needs to be able to float your tank,weights and you on the surface without a problem.
There are calculations that you can do to figure out how much lift you need and how much lead you will need but its more complicated with a jacket BC,because the jacket has a fair amount of inherent bouyancy, which requires lead to sink, as well.
I found my old jacket was sinking if I threw it in the water with just the trim weights and a steel tank. It is fine in the warm water environment and I still use it for pool classes but it won't work for anything else, being unsafe in the ocean with cold water gear.
I recommend waiting until after OW class, then you can try out a rig that you might be interested in with the amount of weights and exposure protection that you will need for the coldest diving that you will do.
It's one thing if you will be diving in the tropics with 4 pounds of weight, a bouyant, AL 80 and a 3 ml, and fully another if you're diving in the local lakes with a drysuit or 7 ml, 24 lbs, a steel tank and all the other cumbersome cold weather gear.
BP/wing is a great rig for beginners, BTW,especially if you plan to dive cold water and/or would like to continue on into any technical specialty like caves or wrecks.
Since it looks like you are from MO, I assume you'll want to dive locally in places like the local lakes. You even have a decent cave, if that interests you, if you decide to get training in cave diving.
I strongly suggest that you make plans to dive locally and regularly from the very beginning. You will be a much better diver if you dive locally and will probably enjoy your vacation dives more by staying proficient locally.

Funny thing.

Many divers as they become more experienced, want their BC to be more simplified. Removing what they don't need.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider with a BP/W, is the weight distribution. Diving late Sept. in Missouri lakes, you'll be wearing at minimum a 7mm full suit,possibly a 2 piece. That will likely require you wear 24+ lbs of lead. A Stainless steel BP would let you take about 6lbs off your belt, if you can rent or buy a steel tank,rather than the typical Al80, that's another 6lbs or so off the belt. Moving 12 lbs to spread across your back,rather than around your waist/kidneys, should greatly improve your comfort levels,both in and out of the water.

If you like the looks of the Excursion, Eric has one for sell. It's in beautiful shape. Size Large. Let me know if interested and I'll post pics.

I spoke with Eric. He wants 150 for the Excursion.

So, learning to dive and learning what you want is a great thing to do BEFORE you buy your first BCD. I was certified for 8 years before buying my first piece of scuba equipment (mask/snorkel/fins excluded). Once I caved and bought a BCD, it was a BPW with alu plate. I could wear more weight if needed, or travel if I desired....with the same plate. Long story short, I no longer have it because my diving path took a different direction. If you KNOW what path you'll be taking, then by all means buy a BCD that accomodates that. If not, I'd wait.

Now, as to whether or not a BPW is good for beginning divers: Yes and no. Yes, because it's practically the same as a jacket but is slightly more stable. The inflator, the dumps, and all the "important" stuff is in the same spot and operates the same way. No, because it won't make you a perfect diver off the bat. It's a tool. So is a jacket. They're both tools, and they both require a good diver. Don't think you can get a BPW and be a tech diver tomorrow. Also, don't think you have to be a tech diver to dive with a BPW. It's just a different BCD that offers simplicity and flexibility, but can be added to when desired.

Now, if you're against a BPW and want a BCD under $300....I'll show you what I got my fiancee. She loves it. She won't give it up. It's a back-inflate "jacket"-style bcd that's light/small, packs light/small, and is stable. It has unobtrusive weight pouches (4 total), two of which are "dumpable" but aren't "quick release" (I lost 16# of lead from a bad quick release jacket, I've been strictly weightbelt since).
Aeris EX Lite - $175 brand new on Leisure Pro

My preference, however, is a BPW. I got very sick, very quickly of having crap infront of me and around me. Once I got my BPW I knew I'd never go back. My fiancee is looking at carrying a small pony and making massive mods to her bcd to allow it. It would take ZERO modification to dive a pony on a BPW. With a BPW, cave and tech divers carry everything they need. If you're carrying more than that, you should be reconsidering what you're taking on a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom