New BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the wing/backplate = more weight.
It can be more, depending on the plate. They make softplates, plastic plates, aluminum, steel, you name it. I have a BPW that I made that weighs 5 lb total, others have stacked steel plates that weigh 13 + for the plates alone... and everything in between.

You keep mentioning not DM-ing anymore... BPW is just a different BCD, no more, no less. Nothing to do with pro or amateur, frequent or vacation diver. In your shoes, I'd try one (borrowed or rented) to see how they dive. Some love them (me and both my boys), some prefer jacket BCDs (my wife). If your anywhere near the scuba ranch in texas the 20-21st (next week) I'll be there with some vintage stuff and a couple BPWs... you're welcome to try one out.

Respectfully,

James

So the wing/backplate = more weight. So, I'm trying to reduce travel weight, not increase it. I did not see that the R1 was discontinued. Right now I have a BC that is simply too loose... It fit me at 198#, but way too big at 165#.

I will have to keep shopping or listen to suggestions. I'm open to suggestions, but remember, I am a vacation diver only these days and have zero plans to DM again.

Take a look at the Dive Rite Hydro Lite. HydroLite BC | Dive Rite

Sure it is more weight, but less space. As most of my dive gear is carry on, that is a non issue.
Unless you ever want to go someplace where the airline does care about carryon weight.

Unless you ever want to go someplace where the airline does care about carryon weight.
Then I'd wear it like a jacket. However, if that is a super warm destination, I might opt for an aluminum or carbon fiber BP.

Have you considered the Aqualung Outlaw, or the Rogue? The former is a more stripped down version, while the latter has pockets. You can get a pretty customized fit if you need it by ordering each component separately: bladder, backpad, shoulder straps, and waist strap. You can order integrated weight and/or trim pockets for it or you can dive with a weight belt. The Outlaw only weighs 4 lbs.

I would consider this BC from Scubapro, the Seahawk-2 BC. It is light, can be folded to be very compact with luggage, full featured, very comfortable and can be used for all types of diving from tropical to temperate to cold water with drysuit. I don't see any of the above mentioned BC competing with it.

https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/bcds/bcds/seahawk-2-bcd

Why don’t you just get on Craigslist or eBay and buy used BC’s?
There are tons of good lightly used BC’s out there (and other dive gear) filling storage units that have been used very little and the owners have moved on. It sounds like you really don’t care much about what it is as long as it travels well and it’s cheap.
You would never have to buy another new BC again if you didn’t want to.

I would consider this BC from Scubapro, the Seahawk-2 BC. It is light, can be folded to be very compact with luggage, full featured, very comfortable and can be used for all types of diving from tropical to temperate to cold water with drysuit. I don't see any of the above mentioned BC competing with it.

https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/bcds/bcds/seahawk-2-bcd
That's cuz none are so overpriced!

That's cuz none are so overpriced!

Because none are more suitable for the purpose with high quality, comfort and functionality. But I guess you don't understand that.

And btw, SP prices reflect what it takes to make high quality products and maintain inventory to meet users' needs especially these days. Other "cheap" mfg. can't compete with that and don't have the bandwidth to stock much these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom