Which BC and computer for a underwater videographer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seanothon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm getting into diving, and more specifically, underwater videography and I am getting ready to get my own set of gear. I'm looking for suggestions on a BC and computer. I know the computer is probably more up to me, but I figured I would ask. As for BCs, I am thinking maybe a ScubaPro Knighthawk or Zeagle Ranger.

Thoughts?

Since you are JUST getting into diving or THINKING about getting into diving your #1 priority above and beyond is NOT to film regardless of how strong your temptation is. You need to learn how to dive FIRST. You learn by diving, paying attention to your gear, mastering scuba skills. After about 50 or so dives I would recommend you to buy a camera.

I can't speculate on how any BC or computers work better or worse while filming. A common rule of thumb, however is that your BC has lots of heavy duty D-rings. You will need them to clip your gear to it. Having a computer sucks while video taping. Unlike in a non filming situation you need to develop a habit of holding your camera steady while checking your computer every once in a while.

But truth be truth... you can't just go out and start video taping. You need to be proficient in diving itself. Start with that first.

Where will you be diving?

Good advice to wait until you develop some proficiency at diving before trying to do video. Not sure if you are thinking of actually buying this stuff before you get certified, but I would also suggest you don't buy any major gear before you are certified. You will get 1000 opinions on what BC to buy, but the opinion that matters most is yours and it's hard to tell what you like until you've actually gotten certified, dove a little, and tried some things.

Both BCs you mention are good, so are 200 others out there. What specifically interests you in those 2? Fit of a BC is really important - which one fits you better?

Have to agree with the previous two posts. By the time you're ready to think about filming underwater, you should have done so much diving that equipment choices were made long ago.

There are few things worse than having to sit watching ill-thought-out videos shot by poorly skilled divers. Get the diving right first, then you can actually concentrate on the shots you want and how they'll work together to tell a story. Don't get a cert, get a camera, jump in and point a camera at the same subject for ten minutes and then show that, unedited and with loads of high-speed pans and vertical wobbles. Doesn't work, and is a waste of your time and effort (and money) in my opinion.

I'd have to take issue with yarik83's post. You concentrate on the DIVE, you don't dive through your camera. See the shot coming, get set up, concentrate on getting 15-20 seconds of good footage of whatever it is (nobody will watch a single shot for longer, unless it's something truly spectacular), check your depth, time, deco or non-deco status on your computer/tables/run-time/whatever. You don't need stacks of d-rings (what on earth do d-rings have to do with shooting video?) and - while a rebreather can help you get closer to skittish subjects, since there are no bubbles - good dive skills can also get you there. It's all about being still in the water, and that simply comes with hours (and hours and hours) of diving.

As to recommended BCs? Whatever you want. Won't make a blind bit of difference, as long as you're comfortable diving in it and have the skills, especially buoyancy control, to keep the camera steady and have the situational awareness to manage your dive safely and see good shots coming before they happen.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info everyone. I understand I need to be a proficient scuba diver before attempting to film. I am open water certified and am continuing my education with specialty courses. I have spoken to people on here previously and they said the same things about becoming comfortable in the water, so that is what I have been trying to do. I don't plan on buying my own camera gear, just diving gear.

Where will you be diving?

Both BCs you mention are good, so are 200 others out there. What specifically interests you in those 2? Fit of a BC is really important - which one fits you better?

I am taking a trip to Thailand in Nov-Dec and am going to some scuba courses while I'm there including a 2 week underwater videography course and probably a 2 week internship that goes with it. Aside from that I am not sure where else I am going to be diving. Everywhere I hope.

I am interested in the Knighthawk because it is what I have been using here and like a lot of the features. Weight integrated, back inflated, etc. I am also interested in the Ranger because it seems to have similar features and it seems to have been reviewed really well. I have not tried one out yet, though.

your profile says "None - Not Certified" - might want to fix that.

I've been shooting video for a while now and I have a Ranger. It works fine. If you plan to travel a lot, it doesn't pack particularly well - some of their other models like the Wicked Lite or the Stiletto are more travel oriented. Or the Express Tech but it may not have enough lift with the standard wing for cold water OH diving. Also neither the Wicked Lite or the Stiletto will mount doubles.

I don't own one but I've often thought the optimum computer for videography would be an Aeris/Oceanic Datamask. I'm right handed and generally record most of the time - since I wear a wrist computer on my left wrist, occasionally you can see a "dip" in my footage when I check it. I'm getting an external monitor soon so I might try mounting a puck computer on it also.

Get something with a high mounted chest d-ring. Steel not plastic. I use a Cetacea lanyard - modified version of this one - I added a quick link on the camera end. When it's clipped together on my chest it keeps the camera tucked in close and high so you're not dragging it on things - especially during shore entries. You will also likely be in situations where you'll need to roll off the boat with your housing so it helps to shield it with your body also as you do.

I agree with the others, whatever BC you get make sure you can control your buoyancy precisely. Especially when shooting either macro or bigger pelagics farther away, nothing is more annoying than camera shake. IMO - within reason for carry-on/luggage restrictions - the bigger the housing the better as it creates more drag in the water - makes pans smoother. It's also very important to dial in the buoyancy on your camera/housing setup - I prefer mine slightly negative as it seems to help with control.

Last edited:
I do not know about other folks out there but I video tape 99.9% of my dive unless there is absolutely nothing to video tape (ie really poor visibility). Problem with video taping is that by time you turn on your camera and let it boot up and figure out that your settings are right etc etc etc.. the fish will swim away or you will be carried off by the current.

If you are doing a drift dive then you will be moving and depending on speed of current you may not be able to maintain your position for a long time. Likewise if you are in a shallow spot (ie keys) then you are bounced about left and right by the surge.

I think the only times I can actually film something for 20 seconds is when I am diving at the lake or in a place with absolutely no disruptions.

And here is another thing to ponder... when diving... you are not the only person in water so rest of your group will not be sticking around for 15-20 seconds unless you come up on a sleeping loggerhead turtle or a shark and if they leave you WILL have to chase them down. Been there done that... not a good thing unless visibility is good.

I would recommend getting steel d-rings. I have 6 on my cobra 2 genesis bcd and 6 is not enough. 2 to clip my camera. 2 are utilized in my reef hook contraption that I use to hook onto dead coral while filming in strong current. 2 other rings are on either side at hip level. 1 is used to hold pony 2nd stage while other is used to hold safe 2nd stage. By time you factor in retractors for your computer, dive knife and everything else that is hanging off you like a christmas tree (finger spool reel and safety sausage)... you do need d-rings.

In my case I film for 50 minutes of every dive minus descend and ascent. I find it a lot easier to point and shoot rather than miss the shot. More importantly 99.9% of times when I re-watch my dives I find a ton of things my eyes missed so while I do not dive through lcd screen of my camera... I do re-live the dives through the footage.

Yes, the KnightHawk is an excellent choice.

The Galileo Sol is a great computer that allows you to use a pony tank.

Carrying a camera, you are becoming a Solo diver. A pony tank is a must.

You can monitor both tanks with you Sol!

The Best.

Back
Top Bottom