Which backplate and wing???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Piranha doesn't have a great option for a 30lb wing that can be used without an STA right now. The Manta Predator is an orphaned product and a lot of us are wary of wings with external bungees like the HOG 32 they currently have in stock.
This is incorrect about the HOG 32 wing. I have one. It is not the kind of external bungee that caused the previous notorious problem with wings.

It is also easily removed and I did remove it because I saw no need for it. It is a perfectly adequate wing and the HOG system has worked well for me.

Reactions: Zef
This is incorrect about the HOG 32 wing. I have one. It is not the kind of external bungee that caused the previous notorious problem with wings.

It is also easily removed and I did remove it because I saw no need for it. It is a perfectly adequate wing and the HOG system has worked well for me.
I was talking about the standalone HOG wing that Piranha is selling now, not whatever comes with the full HOG system (which Piranha does not have listed on their site). This is the wing I was discussing:

I was talking about the standalone HOG wing that Piranha is selling now, not whatever comes with the full HOG system (which Piranha does not have listed on their site). This is the wing I was discussing:

Pretty sure that is the wing @FishWatcher747 is referring to. It is also a wing I have in my family's arsenal and I have a DiveRite Voyager wing that has a nearly identical bungee system on it. The bungee does not wrap around the cross section of the wing as does the ones that are not recommended. I have used mine (diverite) both with and without the bungee and find no issues with being able to inflate it with power inflator or orally, and have no issues dumping air or maintaining buoyancy with it.

One of the benefits of the hog wing discussed and depicted above is that it has long camband slots that make able to use with just about any plate on the market.

-Z

Lowwall, that is the same HOG 32 wing as in their package deal. I'm not defending the bungees as I removed them. But the notorious wing bungee problem had the bungees go over the wing leading to air trapping, and potential problems if a puncture happened.

The Hog bungees don't go over the wing. They clip to loops on the outside edge of the wing to avoid taco.

Thanks for the correction.

Here's a short video from HOG showing the bungee. It's clearly removable.

I use a stainless plate that use even for travel. No issues as I were at least a 3mm no matter what.

I'm a fan of halycon pricey but I've had good experiences with them and consider it worth the the cost.

Others might disagree.
I also use a stainless plate, and the couple extra pounds doesn't affect my luggage. I am a big guy, so the extra weight that I don't have to put in pockets is bonus.

I was able to buy my first backplate and wings when Halcyon had a killer deal on plate, harness, weight pockets, single wing, STA, and doubles wing. The only downside on with the Halcyon single wing I have is that is is not designed to be used without an STA. <edit> Halcyon now has wings designed for use without an STA </edit> For travel, that is not ideal. I use the Hollis single wing for travel since it has the slots and roll control.

I have always thought about using the BP to make a backpack for traveling,, so it doesn't matter how heavy it is,,,

I saw there is a guy on YouTube that mounts a duffel bag to BP for traveling.

Seems like the same questions get ask often, this is what I said on an other post,

I know when you buy your first gun, mountain bike, dive gear, etc. It tends to be like,
this is the only one I'll ever get, so I need to make the right decision....
But if you stay in the sport, its usually the first of many,....
Good you are doing your research,
But don't get to hung up, first good choice is a steel backplate,, that will last you for life, (but I don't know how many backplates I have now)
Harness is replaceable and configurable,
( i am still changing mine and reconfiguring after 20ish years of diving).

Wing is where you are more than likely to change or get different sizes,
(I got a 60lb DiveRight classic was to big for what I needed at first, but I am very happy with it.. 18ish years and still using it..)
if you plan to dive single tank get a smaller wing, or PM me and I'll show you what I did to a larger wing,
When you want to go doubles either get a bigger new wing or you'll know someone that's selling a used one etc,,,,,

Oh
If you are long torso make sure you get a long plate,
makes a huge difference having the waist strap come off closer to your hips,
A real pain when its higher up...Make sure when you try it on your hands can naturally reach ( not awkward) the D ring, or waist belt that's at your hips and plate,

I went with
I use a stainless plate that use even for travel. No issues as I were at least a 3mm no matter what.

I'm a fan of halycon pricey but I've had good experiences with them and consider it worth the the cost.

Others might disagree.
I will second this. I too really like my Halcyon wing. I went with the wing that fits with and without the single tank adapter. SS backplate and the single tank adapter with integrated weight for when I do dry suit diving.

FYI, I really like their cinch system that allows the diver to adjust the one piece webbing on the go, especially since I can go anywhere from a 3mm to a dry suit regularly.

Happy shopping! :)

I bought the dgx harness, aluminum backplate and 30lb wing as my first rig and I’m loving it (did my AOW practical dives in it and worked like a charm). Simple, comfortable, effective, affordable. Also, fits like a glove after some tweaks.

I put two trim pouches on the bottom tank bands and tidy up the inflator hose with some bicycle inner tube strips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom