Which backplate and wing???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a similar question... I am looking for a backplate and harness initially for for cold water twinset diving but eventually as my primary kit for single tank and twinset. I am currently in a back-inflate BCD (Aqualung Dimension I3) and will probably continue to use that for single tank diving until it wears out. For the twinset kit, I am a drysuit diver looking to use a pair of steel HP-100 DIN cylinders. I know I will be over-weighted so I am primarily looking for a good harness and backplate (to be used with a 45-60 lb lift donut style wing). I may mix and match the harness and wing.

I am considering the OMS Comfort Harness III or the XDEEP NX Harness. Leaning towards an aluminum backplate since I expect to be over-weighted and ease for eventual travel. I like the idea of an adjustable harness since it can be a pain getting into my current BCD with a drysuit on. Looking for a comfortable harness and backplate that will serve me well long term.

Which option do you recommend?

For the twinset kit, I am a drysuit diver looking to use a pair of steel HP-100 DIN cylinders. I know I will be over-weighted

Depending on height and weight,
Not so sure you will be over weighted....
I am sure with a wetsuit you will be,

But with a drysuit,,, I think you will be quite close to perfect,,
also depends on your underwear thickness,

I have a similar question... I am looking for a backplate and harness initially for for cold water twinset diving but eventually as my primary kit for single tank and twinset. I am currently in a back-inflate BCD (Aqualung Dimension I3) and will probably continue to use that for single tank diving until it wears out. For the twinset kit, I am a drysuit diver looking to use a pair of steel HP-100 DIN cylinders. I know I will be over-weighted so I am primarily looking for a good harness and backplate (to be used with a 45-60 lb lift donut style wing). I may mix and match the harness and wing.

I am considering the OMS Comfort Harness III or the XDEEP NX Harness. Leaning towards an aluminum backplate since I expect to be over-weighted and ease for eventual travel. I like the idea of an adjustable harness since it can be a pain getting into my current BCD with a drysuit on. Looking for a comfortable harness and backplate that will serve me well long term.

Which option do you recommend?DM sent

I would just get the DGX s/s backplate package with the Hog harness and the 30 lb singles wing.
You can use that here in California which sounds like most of your diving. If you plan a plane trip to warm water then get an aluminum plate and just use the 30 wing, it will be fine. Those wings are pretty compact.
I am nor Cal diver too. I am with Eric here start with SS and 30 lb wing. It is plenty of loft if you weighted properly. We dive with 30 in drysuit with thick undies. 30 is also a good size for Hawaii.

When you decide to travel, just buy AL plate and harness hardware. Just use the 30lb wing.

Since you mention tech in future, don’t mind the cost of extra plate. It is really peanuts in the world of tech diving.

I don't see any problem in traveling with a SS plate, unless perhaps you're packing heavy photography equipment too.

Seems like the same questions get ask often, this is what I said on an other post,

I know when you buy your first gun, mountain bike, dive gear, etc. It tends to be like,
this is the only one I'll ever get, so I need to make the right decision....
But if you stay in the sport, its usually the first of many,....
Good you are doing your research,
But don't get to hung up, first good choice is a steel backplate,, that will last you for life, (but I don't know how many backplates I have now)
Harness is replaceable and configurable,
( i am still changing mine and reconfiguring after 20ish years of diving).

Wing is where you are more than likely to change or get different sizes,
(I got a 60lb DiveRight classic was to big for what I needed at first, but I am very happy with it.. 18ish years and still using it..)
if you plan to dive single tank get a smaller wing, or PM me and I'll show you what I did to a larger wing,
When you want to go doubles either get a bigger new wing or you'll know someone that's selling a used one etc,,,,,

Oh
If you are long torso make sure you get a long plate,
makes a huge difference having the waist strap come off closer to your hips,
A real pain when its higher up...Make sure when you try it on your hands can naturally reach ( not awkward) the D ring, or waist belt that's at your hips and plate,
I'm 6'4 1/2, which long plate would you recommend?

I can't recomend a long plate, I am sure there are others that can.

This is mine, it's a standard dive rite plate,
With an add on, that I had plasma cut,,
It kinda becomes a butt plate..

The waist band slots are 3.5" lower than the standard plate,

It's nice because the waist band goes around and not down at the front as much, the crotch strap always pulls down a bit, but I can easily touch the strap where it goes into the plate slots...
20211018_091022.jpg

Unless you are really long in the torso, at 6'-4" you likely can do with a standard plate... The problem is, long plates are somewhat a "unicorn".

I'm 6'-7" and use the "long" for single tank, but needed the "x-long" for doubles. DSS made a great range of plates for tall folks if you can find one.

Long torso and long arms, is a bad combination...

If your handy or bring it to a fab shop,
you could cut a plate in half and extend it,

It would hurt me to do it to a brand new plate though:wink:

Not many options. Occasionally a used one will show in the classifieds. Otherwise:

Fred T is a long time maker of custom backplates. It appears he's still doing it. This was from a year ago:
I’d suggest contacting Fred Tagge. He makes custom sizes and will tell you how to measure your back for sizing. I’m 6’5”, and I recently purchased one from him. I’m very pleased and glad I made the switch to BPW. His ph is 281-217-2583. Email is fredtgearms@gmail.com.

If anyone knows of others, please add them to the thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom