Which backplate and wing???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the subject of warm-water trips and whether aluminum or steel plate is better, there are a couple of schools of thought. Some people prefer the lightest plate they can find, to minimize baggage weight. Others prefer a steel plate for warm-water destinations because with a 3 mm suit diving an Al 80, you might be able to get away with no lead at all or just a couple of pounds of lead. It has been said that having most of your ballast against your back near your center of buoyancy rather than on a belt may feel better, though I haven't been able to discern a difference. In the end, steel versus aluminum isn't a big deal, as the difference averages only around 4 lbs. if I recall. If you need a lot of weight for your diving at home, get steel and don't let the few pounds of baggage weight on warm-water trips sway your decision. Eventually, you will own both steel and aluminum, as many of us do, and your harness on each will remain adjusted for the thickness of suit you wear. There are a number of aspects of the BP/W configuration that people find advantageous, but the supposed "modularity" benefit that allows you to switch configurations is overblown. You will probably end up owning multiple wings, too.

Call DGX to see if they can offer extra discount for an additional back plate on top of the package.
SS plate for cold water and Al plate for warm water.
30lbs(DGX) or 32lbs(OMS).

The issue with just getting an extra plate is the pain in the arse factor of swapping everything back and forth between plates, especially for someone new to diving with plates and wings. It is much more economical from a time and frustration standpoint to leave one's harness on their plate and purchase/setup a 2nd plate and harness for warm water and travel....it is much easier to bounce a wing between plates compared to moving a harness with any accoutrements from one slab of metal to another.

-Z

I would likely set up a thick ss plate with a smaller wing for diving a single tank at home, and when you upgrade to a doubles wing youre only another plate and harness away from having a dedicated single tank / travel rig. And if you take the ss plate travelling once or twice, you can decide if you like the extra weight or want aluminum for your travel rig. Keep an eye out for used deals and you might put one or both together pretty reasonably priced if youre patient

The issue with just getting an extra plate is the pain in the arse factor of swapping everything back and forth between plates, especially for someone new to diving with plates and wings. It is much more economical from a time and frustration standpoint to leave one's harness on their plate and purchase/setup a 2nd plate and harness for warm water and travel....it is much easier to bounce a wing between plates compared to moving a harness with any accoutrements from one slab of metal to another.

-Z
Start with a steel plate. I dive mine in warm water because it means I can carry the lead in small trim pockets on the waist band when using an AL tank or no lead with a steel tank.

But if you eventually want AL a generic harness with all the necessary triglides and d-rings and crotch strap is only $45 from Piranha. If you buy their AL plate at the same time, the whole thing costs $120 and they'll put it together for you.

More Options! & Now Black Hardware! Hogarthian Harness (Dir) for Backplates

There's also nothing wrong with using this harness with a steel plate for your primary rig. Both my son and I are happy with it. All it needs is a wing and two cam bands (and an STA if you want one) and you are set.

I have both Al and SS plate and one set of hardware. But two length of webbings for either cold(dry) or warm water diving.

To finish off my full dive kit all I have left to get is a BCD. After some research, I've decided to go the backplate and wing route for simplicity, customization, and upgrading or changing as my experience and training progress. I would also like to do some tech/deep diving down the road. With that being said.....Does anyone have any experience or advice to offer in regards to which brand, style, and/or design of backplate and wing to go with? Aluminum vs Steel? Webbing vs padded? Lift amount? I've been looking at OMS, Xdeep, Dolphin Tech, DGX to name a few. For the time being I'll be diving single tank, but want a system I can upgrade to doubles with later on. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Aluminum vs Steel?
-> Wet or dry? In a drysuit you will want a steel backplate. Possibly even an extra heavy one.

For the time being I'll be diving single tank, but want a system I can upgrade to doubles with later on.
-> You do need a narrow wing for a single tank and a wide & bigger wing for doubles.

I am cheap and has far too much spare time. :)
Actually it does not long, 15 mins, because of the indention on the webbing.

Cheap mixed with too much spare time can lead to creative solutions but more often than not results in a lapse of rational or logical approach to a problem/scenario.

I am all about saving money where practical, the vast majority of people I have met on this planet would not characterize themselves as "having far too much spare time". And while it is not difficult to swap a harness between 2 plates, it is not the most practical recommendation in most cases as it is cumbersome to do and if one has spent a lot of time dialing the fit of their harness they probably would not relish the thought of pulling it apart unless it was absolutely necessary.

I don't think you are off for making the recommendation, I just believe it needs to be balanced by other approaches that offer a more versatile solution.

-Z

I did it my way and it has nothing to do with saving a few dollars.
I would have given up tec diver long time ago if I let such a trivial matter bothering me.
I do not expecting everyone agrees with my approach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom