Which Atomic regulator do you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pressure should be fine (matching atomic 1st stage) but if the mouth piece is turned down, it stops...I've heard this is normal. :wink: eelnoraa The swivel stays put under pressure so it pretty much stays facing down once you orient it that way.

Knob is about half a turn out from clockwise. Adjusted for my preferred breathing effort, though I don't mess with it much.

What I think is better than the Z2X is the Z2T. Meaning you get the 5 port swivel turret instead of the fixed 7 port turret. That is what we bought. It was basically a special order from Atomic.

Also do not be afraid of buying used. A used B1 might set you back $200 plus another $200 or so you can send it into Atomic and it will be fully upgraded to a B2 (but with out a swivel hose).

BTW I made up the Z2T - there is no such item number just what I called it for fun.

So, I think I'm going to go with the Z2. I MIGHT go with the B2 depending on the deal I get. For the diving and the frequency of dives I am doing now, I think the Z2(X) will be a good fit. I'm going to swing by my LDS this week to see what I can do.

Thank you everyone for your input!!!

Another vote for Z2, not the X version.

I am in the same boat.....thinking about Z2x....Why not the x? Also, on the Z2x the LP swivel is an option or not?

The first stage does not swivel ? Is that a bad thing?

---------- Post added December 8th, 2012 at 06:07 AM ----------

Funny about El Mar, we were there, the sales guy couldn't explain anything. We left, turned off by the experience. I guess we just needed someone with more actual knowledge about the products. His line about the Z2....it's junk, but we still sell it because some want it as their octo.

I am in the same boat.....thinking about Z2x....Why not the x? Also, on the Z2x the LP swivel is an option or not?

The first stage does not swivel ? Is that a bad thing?

The swivel on the first stage is nice to have but not a need to have. The issue with fixed ports is that sometimes the angle that the hose comes off of the first stage is not the best for routing some of the hoses. So they gets a bit more of a bend than one might like. Conversely with the swivel ports the hoses can shift around and sit where there is perhaps over all less stress. All depends on your routing.

As for the swivel on the second stage. Many people have better luck with milflex hoses rather than a traditional swivel. Personally I find the swivel to reduce some stress and when I check its position in the water the swivel is always at its maximal bend.

Funny about El Mar, we were there, the sales guy couldn't explain anything. We left, turned off by the experience. I guess we just needed someone with more actual knowledge about the products. His line about the Z2....it's junk, but we still sell it because some want it as their octo.

I'd come back when the owner is there - tell them of your experience. Hopefully the owner will be a more knowledgble.

The 7 port is a fixed port and as already mentioned does not swivel. Some of our customers have decided to order their Z2 with the 5 port swivel or have theirs converted to the 5 port swivel when they send them in for service. The swivel port is a nice option, it really helps reduce routing conflicts with BCDs etc.

You can also add an Atomic Swivel Hose to a Z2 second stage for those who either purchased a Z2 before the introduction of the Z2x or who didn't want to spend the initial cost up front for the added feature of the swivel hose on the Z2x.

One thing to keep in mind is that the swivel hose has a separate service kit than the 1st or 2nd stage service kit and will add a few dollars to your annual service, but the comfort is worth it.

thanks Capt Larry (dang I miss the keys!)
Hey, Capt Larry, any recommendations on dive computer.....for now, really don't want to spend more than $250ish?

Aeris XR-1?

Younger heavier set guy?

Back
Top Bottom