Which Atomic regulator do you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I for one hate the comfort swivel. Under pressure it seems to bind and I had to position it by hand. Traded it out for a 22 inch Miflex and been very happy.

I would not get the ST1, you should go for the B2. The swivel is well worth it. You wont need the 7 LP ports unless you get into tech diving and they are confiured a little wierd for recrational diving. The B2 is the way to go.

I use M1s on my doubles, the woman uses a B2, I have an ST1 I rarely use anymore but am in no rush to get rid of because it's such a beautiful reg, and somewhere between NYC and Honolulu is my pony bottle with an old Z1.

They're all great regs, and any one of them would work great for you. If you want the most versatile Atomic--80% O2, most cold water-ready, stiffer purge, and cave ring option--I'd get the M1. If you want to drop the extra money for a harder, more corrosion resistant first stage...ST1. If you just want a really great reg with fantastic customer service at minimal costs, Z2 regular style. The swivel hose is sweet, but if you go to a long hose/short hose setup it becomes unnecessary.

Any reason for the Z2 vs. the Z2X? It's seems that the only difference is the comfort swivel.

---------- Post Merged at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:30 AM ----------

Is there any major benefit of the M1 versus the others? I see it can do a higher percentage of Nitrox. I do plan to do Enriched Diver when I go for my AOW. I just can't see where I would use more than 40% nitrox.........yet! It has different material on the first stage than the other, and it's a stainless seat saving orifice rather than titanium.

Yeah, swivel is the only difference. Personally, I don't find the benefit of the 2nd stage swivel. The problem with discomfort mostly because of incorrect length of hose. For $100 difference, I would much rather spend it toward a Z2 octo then to go with a compact size lower cost version.

For 1st stage swivel, for single tank diving, I found the orientation of the swivel is more or less kept fixed once setup. Yes, it may make putting the reg on the tank easier, but I won't choose a reg based on that.

As for number of LP ports, I haven't had to use more than 4: primary, backup, LPI, drysuit. So I think both 5 and 7 are over kill. Having a port at the bottom may help hose routing.

Have the above said, I don't mean B2, ST1, M1, T2 are not good regulators. If you can afford them, get what you like. Z2 is just best bang for the buck regulator

One slight difference no one seems to have mentioned is that the B2 is all titanium in the 2nd stage (like the T2x), the Z2/x has some zirconium coated brass components.

My other suggestion would be to drive up to El Mar one day and talk to them. They're probably your closest dealer anyway. If anything they'll try to downsell you if it makes sense - I like that in an LDS - not always pushing the highest price items. David Hayes, their reg tech, is the guy to go to for service also.

One slight difference no one seems to have mentioned is that the B2 is all titanium in the 2nd stage (like the T2x), the Z2/x has some zirconium coated brass components.

My other suggestion would be to drive up to El Mar one day and talk to them. They're probably your closest dealer anyway. If anything they'll try to downsell you if it makes sense - I like that in an LDS - not always pushing the highest price items. David Hayes, their reg tech, is the guy to go to for service also.

Hey Steve,

El Mar is one of the reasons I am leaning towards Atomic as well. I will most likely buy my reg through them as well (If the price is right). I am just trying to get some outside opinions. I'm in sales for my daily profession, and I don't know the El Mar guys that well yet (Only been buy their place twice) to know if they are trying to up sell me.

I just want to have some background on the products before I go in.

My birthday is next Sunday, so I just might have to get myself a little something!! :D

I have the Z2x and the money for the swivel is probably not worth it. I also have the atomic SS1, so I would donate my primary anyway in an OOA scenario . In hindsight I would have got the z2 and a longer flex type hose. The supplied hose is a little short IMO. Both regs breath very easy. Contrary to what I have read in the reviews, the Z2X does have a tendency to free flow at the surface. FYI

the Z2X does have a tendency to free flow at the surface. FYI

Have you checked the IP? Where's the adjustment knob positioned when it does this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom