Which Atomic regulator do you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfox007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey All,

So I just got my OW cert, and I want to invest in a reg, octo, and computer. I am going to rent BCD's until I can find one I like (I already have mask, fins, snorkel, and boots).

I have been doing a lot of research on regulators, and I think I am going to go with Atomic Aquatics. The feedback I have seen has been all good, and they really seem like you get what you pay for.

Where I need some help is; which one should I get???

I am the type of person that rather invest in good equipment right out of the gate, rather than buy "entry level" stuff just to spend more money to upgrade down the road. If the mid grade one is $400, and the better model is $600; if you can give me valid info on what I am getting for my $200 extra dollars then I will spend the $200 extra.

I am looking at the Z2X, B2, and ST1

Z2X = $500
B2 = $700
ST1 = $900

The Z2X is brass/stainless on the first stage (Same as the B2). While the ST1 is stainless/stainless. The ST1 has freeze protection standard, while the Z2X and B2 are optional. I live in Arizona, and only plan to dive here and further south. So not a factor in my opinion. The Z2X has 2 HP ports and 7 LP ports (The B2 and ST1 both have 2 HP and 5 LP). Do you really need 7 LP ports??? I'm new, but that's seems like a lot! The ST1 and B2 have the LP swivel, but it is optional on the Z2X. The ST1 and B2 are titanium valve body's on the second stage, and the Z2X is zirconium over brass. Same service interval on all three models.

So here is how I see it....

B2 > Z2X = I get 2 less LP Ports, but I do get LP swivel on the first stage. I also get a titanium valve body over zirconium over brass. It is also .2lbs heavier. Is that worth $200 over the Z2X??

ST1 > B2 = I get stainless/stainless on the first stage versus brass/stainless. I get freeze protection. It is also .2lbs litter versus the B2. Is that worth $200 more than the B2 and $400 more than the Z2X??

I have very large lung capacity, IMO. So ease of air flow at all depths is critical to me.

If you have use one, two or all three of these your feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

-Mike

I own 2 M1s, which you are not considering. I only mention it to make clear that I understand the temptation to buy quality gear. I also have a pair of shoes that cost me $1,200. I would put the purchase of $900 regulators in the same category: at least a little bit frivolous. If you have the money to burn, have at it, but do not delude yourself into thinking you will be safer, better equipped, and that they're worth it. They probably aren't worth it.

In general, what I like most about my Atomics is that they go at least two years between servicing, but you can probably do that with any other regulator if you're willing to ignore the manufaturer's recommendation.

They all breath the same so it really comes down to money. More ports let's you route hoses a little different but for basic diving all you need is 3 lp and 1 hp. I have a Z2 and it is great.

The performance of every atomic reg is the same (perceived) they may have differences on a flow table but I have not been able to tell a difference. Now you can tell a difference between sealed and unsealed but that is expected. You can seal or unseal any of the lines my M1 is no longer sealed. I have owned a B2 and St1 and used a friends Z2. They all are great. My St1 was really heavy, I like the B2 but there was no difference between the b2 and z2. If money is a concern/consideration I would go with the Z2x as it has the function I liked in the B2 and is cheaper.
What ever you decide you can not go wrong with Atomic.

I own a lot of Atomics regs (10 regs now). The best bang for the buck is the Z2 - in fact they are what's on my doubles - and despite several years of hard use, they breathe great and look like new inside and out.

All the best, James

I personally use the M1's and swear by them!! Besides recreational diving, I do a lot of Tec as well and they are just a workhorse as far as reg's go! So Reliable!

Another vote for Z2, not the X version.

Any reason for the Z2 vs. the Z2X? It's seems that the only difference is the comfort swivel.

---------- Post Merged at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:30 AM ----------

I personally use the M1's and swear by them!! Besides recreational diving, I do a lot of Tec as well and they are just a workhorse as far as reg's go! So Reliable!

Is there any major benefit of the M1 versus the others? I see it can do a higher percentage of Nitrox. I do plan to do Enriched Diver when I go for my AOW. I just can't see where I would use more than 40% nitrox.........yet! It has different material on the first stage than the other, and it's a stainless seat saving orifice rather than titanium.

Hard to go wrong with Atomic. I own a ST1, 2 x M1, and a Z1. The ST1 is what is used for most of my rec diving, using the Z1 as my octo. Great pairing. My tech rig is build around the two M1 regs. I think the M1 is overkill for rec diving, so I would say go with the ST1. I am not a fan of the swivel hose, so I replaced it with a 7 foot long Miflex LP hose. I find that is more comfortable than the swivel, that really doesn't swivel once the hose is charged..

Is there any major benefit of the M1 versus the others? I see it can do a higher percentage of Nitrox. I do plan to do Enriched Diver when I go for my AOW. I just can't see where I would use more than 40% nitrox.........yet! It has different material on the first stage than the other, and it's a stainless seat saving orifice rather than titanium.
It seems like you have already found Atomic's regulator comparison chart. You are correct, the differences in the M1 are all there to enable higher concentrations of O2. Titanium is theoretically (at least) combustible in the presence of richer mixes, hence the stainless.

Back
Top Bottom