Which asian country / island meets these qualifications?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's interesting to see how some state employees have incredible problems: find a place where the government would pay 100% of your vacations. :flagwaving:

Quite different from the majority of people that just cannot afford to go on vacation. :rolleyes:

Aren't we living in a very akward world :vomit:

I think it's one of the benefits of having to live in a type of place where you can't even breathe the air most days. Or, you could, you'll just get lung cancer! Beijing is freaking horrible in that regard. If they didn't give those benefits, I think very few people would volunteer to go there. Not to mention the fact that you are spied on by the Chinese government operatives 24/7 lol. Including cameras and microphones inside your own personal "private" apartment, lol

Does your friend want a dive vacation at a real dive destination or a free vacation at a bland "international" resort? If a dive vacation, then I say just foot the bill like the rest of us and go where the diving is best, free of the US government's leash. Who wants to spend their vacation with the thought in the back of their mind that something they do may be contrary to their employer's requirements? To me, that's not a vacation.

I couldn't wait to get rid of my security clearance so I could stop having to inform my employer every time I left the country.

Does your friend want a dive vacation at a real dive destination

No, because she's not even a diver. The "good diving" thing is just for me. :)

My original suggestion, Bali or Phuket, still hold even if your travelling companion is a non diver.
Spa for her and you go diving (for several hrs).
Puerto Galera is the only place that I know offering only one boat dive per trip. The boat goes out for one dive and then return to base. Most of the sites are within 5 - 10 mins and depend on the depth of the sites, you could return to base within 45mins!!! The catch is the place in Philippines(Island of Mindoro).

Bali might work. Friends from the embassy have traveled to eastern Bali for beach and diving.

Or maybe Japan?

No, because she's not even a diver. The "good diving" thing is just for me. :)

I'm just back from 3 weeks diving Japan, so a couple ideas. Keeping a non-diver happy does complicate things a little, as does the fact that the best diving is generally in more remote/isolated areas.

Being based in Okinawa with you boat diving local sites and/or the Kerama Isl should meet all those criteria. Zamami looked beautiful for non-divers, but I don't think you could be based there as it might be classified as isolated -- though it's only an ~80 min fast ferry to Okinawa for hospitals, etc. There's lots of shore diving on Okinawa too. I did not see any area that looked interesting for non-divers where we were in Yomitan or Chatan (both good Okinawa bases from a dive perspective) and we drove around quite a bit, but maybe we missed them. You could definitely stay in an Onna beach resort. You could also stay in more of a touristy area and commute a bit further for diving.

We loved the diving in Hachijo-jima and our dive op was spectacular, but without a group of 3 people you'd likely only have shore diving options and depending on your experience/preferences you may not love the shore diving as much as we did. Only a 50 min flight from Tokyo, but on Hachijo itself not sure whether there's a serious hospital, etc. Between cooler water temps, very little for a non-diver to do and very limited English outside of the dive op I do not think it's the best bet for your trip.

Logistics for non-Japanese speakers for Izu peninsula diving made booking extremely challenging, especially for weekdays, but again some very interesting endemics and small animals there (we did not do any boat dives because of the shorter time limits). You'd have to look into nice places for a non-diver to stay (we stayed very locally in minshuku) and whether your friend could find enough to do. I know there are nice places with onsen in the region - might be possible if you are willing to commute to and from the dive sites.

I should mention that the diving we did in these areas of Japan was nothing like diving in the more famous areas in Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, Sipadan etc. If you're looking for more of a 'dive magazine' type experience, Japan may not provide that for you. Though if you're going to hit the rest of SE Asia on your own later anyway, having an organization help with the bill for Japan's higher accommodation and meal costs would be clever.

We loved Japan and hope to return. Bali's great also though.

Last edited:
Bali might work. Friends from the embassy have traveled to eastern Bali for beach and diving.

We're leaning heavily towards Bali. :) We are both strict vegetarians and it looks quite easy to eat veg there, since it's heavily Hindu.

We're leaning heavily towards Bali. :) We are both strict vegetarians and it looks quite easy to eat veg there, since it's heavily Hindu.

I'm not vegetarian, and the thought of gado gado makes my mouth water.

It's not just that Bali is Hindu but that it's heavily touristed, and like such places everywhere these days, restaurateurs there know that quite a few visitors are vegetarian.

Bali good diving good surface activity for non diver. Depending on how long you have a couple of days on one of the Gili islands is also worth while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom