Which asian country / island meets these qualifications?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seeker242

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So my friend works for the US State Dept and she's currently stationed in Beijing China. I'm contemplating going to visit and we are planning to have a vacation somewhere in Asia, that is not China, in late 2018. The government will completely pay for her trip, but the place we go to has to meet certain qualifications before they will foot the bill.

Some of the things it can't have are below:

(2) Isolation;
(3) Inadequate transportation within the country;
(4) Lack of adequate recreation facilities;
(5) Poor housing conditions;
(6) Unsanitary conditions;
(7) Lack of essential services;
(8) Lack of adequate medical or dental care;
(9) Prevalence of communicable diseases;
(10) Unusual personal hazards

We were seriously looking at Cebu Philippines but there was a recent security notice, that specifically mentioned Cebu, regarding terrorist intentions of kidnappings...So that takes Cebu out of the picture..(#10) .Perhaps all of the Philippines as well because several other places were mentioned...

Can anyone think of a place that has good diving, that would qualify?

I would imagine "liveaboard" would be regarded as Isolation(2).

Bali
Phuket as distant second.

So my friend works for the US State Dept and she's currently stationed in Beijing China. I'm contemplating going to visit and we are planning to have a vacation somewhere in Asia, that is not China, in late 2018. The government will completely pay for her trip, but the place we go to has to meet certain qualifications before they will foot the bill.

(2) Isolation;

We were seriously looking at Cebu Philippines but there was a recent security notice, that specifically mentioned Cebu, regarding terrorist intentions of kidnappings...So that takes Cebu out of the picture..(#10) .Perhaps all of the Philippines as well because several other places were mentioned...

That's really kind of silly. There are places in the US that do not meet those standards!

Okinawa, just a short trip away.

BTW, if your friend is in Beijing and missing diving, he should contact Steven from Sinoscuba and check if he has any Great Wall trips organized this month or next (dates on the thread I linked were last years trip). He was thinking on organizing some, but I don't know if they have been confirmed or not (last I heard was water was very cold, with very poor visibility in July because of heavy rains, and he was waiting for the water to get warmer before taking people there).

Pulau Weh in Banda Aceh should tick most of the boxes although not sure of Medical facilities.

Siahnoukville in Cambodia fits the bill mostly although the diving at Koh Rong can be a bit bland, it's diving :)

(2) Isolation;

I would shoot Andy Davis an email. He goes by the name @DevonDiver and works in Luzon in Subic Bay which is north of Manila. If Subic is not to your liking he can recommend some other places that meets your qualifications. I am not an expert on Asian diving but I get the impression that better diving is off the beaten path so it may not pass some of the qualifications.

Countries that offer scuba diving in Asia:
Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, China, East Timor, India(Andaman Island), Indonesia, Japan, Korea(South), Malaysia, Maldives, Philippines, Republic of CHINA, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Vietnam.
Not sure about Bangladesh and Pakistan while Bhutan, Laos and Nepal are land-locked. And North Korea is off limited to Uncle Sam.
For whatever reason PNG is NOT considered part of Asia even the other half of the Island is.

17 countries to choose from and after eliminating red china and Philippines the number is down to 15.
There aren't that many countries/places that do NOT suffer one way or other from the given list.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom