Which asian country / island meets these qualifications?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pulau Weh in Banda Aceh should tick most of the boxes although not sure of Medical facilities.

Siahnoukville in Cambodia fits the bill mostly although the diving at Koh Rong can be a bit bland, it's diving :)
Some of the thing that CAN'T have are below (2) to (10)
So Pulau Weh and Cambodia are OUT.

While not in Asia would the US Government foot the bill to Australia?

So my friend works for the US State Dept and she's currently stationed in Beijing China. I'm contemplating going to visit and we are planning to have a vacation somewhere in Asia, that is not China, in late 2018. The government will completely pay for her trip, but the place we go to has to meet certain qualifications before they will foot the bill.

Some of the things it can't have are below:

(2) Isolation;
(3) Inadequate transportation within the country;
(4) Lack of adequate recreation facilities;
(5) Poor housing conditions;
(6) Unsanitary conditions;
(7) Lack of essential services;
(8) Lack of adequate medical or dental care;
(9) Prevalence of communicable diseases;
(10) Unusual personal hazards

We were seriously looking at Cebu Philippines but there was a recent security notice, that specifically mentioned Cebu, regarding terrorist intentions of kidnappings...So that takes Cebu out of the picture..(#10) .Perhaps all of the Philippines as well because several other places were mentioned...

Can anyone think of a place that has good diving, that would qualify?

I suggest that your friend contact someone with more experience in the embassy. I have friends that work in the USA consulate in ASEAN and they are able to travel with support to Indonesia and Thailand.

Last edited:
If one takes the restrictions seriously, there are very few coutries that fit the 10 points in Asia. Your best bet are tax heaven like Singapore and Hongkong. When when it comes to diving, there are not the best places. I have read Japan. Never been there but this could be an option. Diving should be great around Fukushima :(.

It sounds like the US Government want your friend to go to a big touristic sites with fancy resorts. Just go to Bali. Obama family were vacationing there last month Obama Family Bali Vacation Photos - Obamas Vacation in Bali. There are plenty nice hotels in Sanur. You can take a dive boat to Nusa Penida & have great dive there. Or stay in a fancy dive resort in Tulamben, place like Mimpi resort & dive USS Liberty wreck right off the beach in front of the resort.

Last edited:
The consulate service uses broad guidelines for all State Department employees, but its open to interpretation. Its more flexible than the OP's list. The OP needs to ask her friend for more information. It was not a problem meeting my friends in Bali, but also remote Indonesia.

Ohhhhhh ooops didn't see the can't - I was wondering why anyone would have those particular factors impacting on destination choice and why your govt would pay for it ..lDOH!

Just go to Bali or Phuket or Puerto Gall...hmm...just don't look up dark alleys...

That's really kind of silly.

This is the US Government we are talking about here. Have you seen it's Commander in Chief lately? Silly seems to be par for the course. :rofl3:

Is there such a place that doesn't have poor housing conditions?

I think the reference is to the housing conditions that you will personally be staying in. In other words, they will not accept putting you up in some shanty town, etc.

While not in Asia would the US Government foot the bill to Australia?

Yes, that's where she is going this year. My schedule can't handle that though. I tried! Would love to see the GBR before it's dead...

The consulate service uses broad guidelines for all State Department employees, but its open to interpretation. Its more flexible than the OP's list. The OP needs to ask her friend for more information. It was not a problem meeting my friends in Bali, but also remote Indonesia.

Thanks. Yes, it's open to interpretation and she said you won't really know if it's approved until it's actually approved. What I'm trying to do is narrow it down to places that are most likely to be approved or places that have a high probability of being approved. It would totally suck to plan a trip all out and then just to have it not be approved and then have to start all over again. I did ask her for more information and this list was part of it. Below is the full "regulation" so to speak. What she is trying to qualify for is called "R&R", which is short for "Rest & Relaxation". R&R has more specific criteria than general travel because the criteria changes depending on where you are currently posted.

3 FAH-1 H-3721.2
Criteria for R&R Travel Designation and Relief Area Designation
a. Conditions of life at the post that present distinct and significant difficulties of sufficient severity to justify temporary relief for an employee and employees eligible family members during a period of assignment. These conditions include but are not limited to such factors as:
(1) Climate;
(2) Isolation;
(3) Inadequate transportation within the country;
(4) Lack of adequate recreation facilities;
(5) Housing conditions;
(6) Unsanitary conditions;
(7) Lack of essential services;
(8) Lack of adequate medical or dental care;
(9) Prevalence of communicable diseases;
(10) Unusual personal hazards, and
(11) Excessive cost of transportation from the post to a suitable relief area.

b. To be designated as a relief point, a location must have a climate, altitude, or environment sufficiently different from that at post.
c. In selecting a suitable relief point, an important factor is the cost of travel to the nearest point that will provide the necessary change from post.
If an employee exercises the option of travel under 3 FAM 3725.3-2 to a point in the United States (the 50 States and the District of Columbia) or its territories including American Samoa, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, the granting of leave is subject to 3 FAM 3410 and home leave eligibility is delayed in accordance with 3 FAH-1 H-3431.2-1. (For USAID, see ADS 480.)
a. U.S. citizen Foreign Service employees are eligible for R&R if:

(1) They are assigned to a designated R&R post abroad and they serve at such a post for a period of at least 2 years unbroken by home leave

R&R is limited to:
1) One round trip during any continuous 2-year period of service unbroken by home leave; and

(2) Two round trips during any continuous 3-year period of service unbroken by home leave.

So my friend works for the US State Dept .....................

. The government will completely pay for her trip, but the place we go to has to meet certain qualifications before they will foot the bill.

Can anyone think of a place that has good diving, that would qualify?

It's interesting to see how some state employees have incredible problems: find a place where the government would pay 100% of your vacations. :flagwaving:

Quite different from the majority of people that just cannot afford to go on vacation. :rolleyes:

Aren't we living in a very akward world :vomit:

Back
Top Bottom