which Argon Bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefraff:
Bob has brought up a good point regarding the relative efficacy of argon. There was a small study done a few years ago that shows fairly definitively that if you're breathing EAN mixes there isn't much point to argon - save your money and use air. On the other hand, if you're diving TMX there is a big point and the higher the He content and the colder the water the bigger that point gets. :rocker:

If you're diving air, I don't know if its worth it to bring a separate suit inflation bottle along at all. I just run another hose off my backgas and use that, leaving my argon bottle ashore.

Ok, let's not side-track on why would anyone start breathing off your 6cf bottle thinking it's their pony... and let’s not go into argon vs. placebo effect.. I've seen enough discussions on that.. I just wanted to get the specifics on a DIR choice of size for argon bottle. So,.. At this point I am leaning towards 6cf since I don’t do cave diving. My intended type of diving will be for open water (very minimum wreck penetration) with 120MOD (TriOx) dives. I don’t have the means of pre-flushing my suit from a big bottle, and I do intend to use the same bottle for 3 consecutive dives before refilling… so, you think 6CuFt. will be enough?

I've noticed those Canadians :cheeky: at http://www.mossmanscubaventures.com use argon bottle, could you tell me if those 6cu.ft. Bottles?

VTernovski:
My intended type of diving will be for open water (very minimum wreck penetration) with 120MOD (TriOx) dives. I don’t have the means of pre-flushing my suit from a big bottle, and I do intend to use the same bottle for 3 consecutive dives before refilling… so, you think 6CuFt. will be enough?
Back when I used to use argon for air/shallow dives, I would get anywhere from 4 to 6 dives off a 6 ft bottle. I didn't flush my suit with it, only used enough gas to take the squeeze off (don't use it for bouyancy control) and my suit is a close fit, so a 6 may well be pushing it for a 3 dive day, especially if you want to have a nice reserve. Open water is a lot more accomodating of a 14 strapped to your backgas, getting in and out of wrecks makes me happy to have my 6 on my waist where it's out of the way and easily removed.

VTernovski:
I didn't mean 3 days... I meant 3 dives. so I guess, I am good to go with 6cu.ft.

Thanks!
I didn't mean 3 days, I meant 3 dives in 1 day. I think you'll find that you're right on the edge with a 6cf. Probably a little short if you want to purge your suit or if it fits loosely.

I took a look at the article that cast55 wrote for the mossman site and the photo looks like a 6 mounted on the waistband. Hard to tell with the image size and the parallax, however, but that's the way it should be done. A 6 fits well on the waistband but the 14 is too big and heavy and has some real stability issues. Usually around here, those diving with 14's mount them upside down to their back gas on the left side, leaving the release mechanism forward of the argon tank where they can flip it open. It's one of the reasons I don't like it - the 14 ends up being in the way in a restriction and hard to get to if you have trouble. What are buddies for, except if you're keyholed, you're screwed.

VTernovski:
I didn't mean 3 days... I meant 3 dives. so I guess, I am good to go with 6cu.ft.

Thanks!

I get an average of around six dives off my 6cf, mostly between 80-170 ft. I don't purge, but I dive warm water and usually only use air in the argon bottle so I've never needed to. I doubt you'd have a problem with a 6cf.

The 14cf is a big increase in your profile. The six will sit under your arm and is almost entirely hidden.

VTernovski:
Ok, let's not side-track on why would anyone start breathing off your 6cf bottle thinking it's their pony... and let’s not go into argon vs. placebo effect.. I've seen enough discussions on that.. I just wanted to get the specifics on a DIR choice of size for argon bottle. So,.. At this point I am leaning towards 6cf since I don’t do cave diving. My intended type of diving will be for open water (very minimum wreck penetration) with 120MOD (TriOx) dives. I don’t have the means of pre-flushing my suit from a big bottle, and I do intend to use the same bottle for 3 consecutive dives before refilling… so, you think 6CuFt. will be enough?

I've noticed those Canadians :cheeky: at http://www.mossmanscubaventures.com use argon bottle, could you tell me if those 6cu.ft. Bottles?

Ah come on I was just about to have some fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom