which Argon Bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski

Contributor
Reaction score
1) 6cu.ft. or 14cu.ft. ?? If, I understand correctly, if you go with 6cf, you can attach it do the back plate, but if 14, then it's better to attach directly to the left tank? But, seriously, why would you choose 14 over 6, and vise versa?

2) Do you still need to do annual VIP on that tank?

3) How long should the hose be - 24"?

5) what's the correct IP should I "de-tune" my first stage to? 110PSI?

6cf for wreck and 14 for cave. The reason being you need less for wreck diving and more for cave diving because in caves there is the ability to do longer dives and more chances that you will be doing more multi level transitions which may require dumping suit gas.

You still need a vip and 5 year hydro also make sure the bottle is clearly marked "ARGON".

You can have the reg de-tuned but its more important to have a OPV on the first stage. I dont bother de-tuning but I use a simple piston firststage (scubapro MK2).

Depending on what size bottle and where you put it you need a hose thats just the right length, not too long and not too short :54:

Once you decide where the bottle will be than measure for the hose.

salty:
"make sure the bottle is clearly marked "ARGON".

Why?

The 14cf (2015psi LP) is for BIG dives. A six will work for multiple dives in the ocean or a few cave dives, and if you need more than that you'd be better off getting another six than a 14. The IP should be low, around 90psi if possible. Most piston regs won't adjust that low, but a diaphragm will. The hose should be no longer than needed so it's streamlined. I use a 15" hose made by dive rite (around $22) that is the perfect length for my plate mount, but YMMV.

VTernovski:
1) 6cu.ft. or 14cu.ft. ?? If, I understand correctly, if you go with 6cf, you can attach it do the back plate, but if 14, then it's better to attach directly to the left tank? But, seriously, why would you choose 14 over 6, and vise versa?
I use a 6 ft. It's enough gas for a single dive, even a deep one, so long as I purge from a larger bottle before the start of the dive. The only reason to choose a 14 is because you need more gas.

2) Do you still need to do annual VIP on that tank?
I check mine, but maybe that's just me. O2 never enters the tank and I refill it from a 100cf transfer bottle that I lug around, so the shop never sees the little bottle.

3) How long should the hose be - 24"?
Depends upon where you mount the tank and how big you are. Start with a standard length hose and if it's too long, get a shorter one.

5) what's the correct IP should I "de-tune" my first stage to? 110PSI?

I detune mine to about 90 psi. I also have an OPV installed on the first stage and a large flanged quick-release on the hose. I've had the valve free-flow on me and there's no such thing as moving to quickly to take care of that problem. :cheeky:

artw:
and how exactly would one breath an argon bottle, if they didn't actually remove and replace the 1st stage with another 1st with a real second stage regulator?
This should fall more inline with the rule of having all bottles labled.

Its also more of an issue with the 14 cf bottles. If it were sitting around and got picked up and used as a pony by someone other than its owner it could become an issue. All bottles should be properly marked as to there contents, I have read the storie of one indivual who grabed astage bottle of almost pure He and thought it was a diffrent mix. Needless to say he was pulled out of the cave at a later date.

artw:
and how exactly would one breath an argon bottle, if they didn't actually remove and replace the 1st stage with another 1st with a real second stage regulator?
I don't drag my little bottles around with regs on them.
I keep air in the critters anyway, seeing's how there's little (if any) difference in actual insulative qualities between air & argon as a suit inflation gas.

Bob3:
I don't drag my little bottles around with regs on them.
I keep air in the critters anyway, seeing's how there's little (if any) difference in actual insulative qualities between air & argon as a suit inflation gas.
Bob has brought up a good point regarding the relative efficacy of argon. There was a small study done a few years ago that shows fairly definitively that if you're breathing EAN mixes there isn't much point to argon - save your money and use air. On the other hand, if you're diving TMX there is a big point and the higher the He content and the colder the water the bigger that point gets. :rocker:

If you're diving air, I don't know if its worth it to bring a separate suit inflation bottle along at all. I just run another hose off my backgas and use that, leaving my argon bottle ashore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom