Which Agency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my OW and ADV through PADI and am now taking the NAUI Master Scuba Diver Course. I've heard a lot of people say it is about the instructor and it may be. But the others in my current class were graduates of the NAUI advanced and by what they have told me the NAUI advanced was more advanced than my PADI class. Example is they did a rescue type dive as well as the other five dives. I'm basically taking a class in physics and physiology. I have a boat diver, dry suit and NITROX specialty and the Master Scuba has taught me more about those individual areas than the actual classes in those areas. Keep in mind, I would not get the specialty unless I paid for them individually. No agency is going to give it away for free. I wish that I could have taken the NAUI advanced and probably should have. I will say this to you, if you have the desire to continue going up to dive master or instructor, I would highly suggest that you try NAUI for at least the MSDC as the others offer. And I read that someone on here suggested you try different agencies throughout your diving experience and I have heard nothing to ever contradict that statement from any one who did not work at dive shop.

More than likely you will end up doing the dives at CSSP in Terrell who ever you decide on. Consider Blue Sea Adventures in Rockwall and Garland both are just off I-30, indoor pool, nitrox, several instructors, two instructor trainers. SDI offers online courses as well.
Thanks, I'll probably head out to the Garland one tomorrow and check it out.

Its all about the instructors - and greatest instructors come from .... no one particular agency.

Find out what kind of diving they enjoy doing when they are not being instructors?

I echo the others thoughts about the Instructor. I have been fortunate enough to have kept diving with my OW. AOW and specialty instructors since being certified, traveling on live a boards and other trips. And being the quality individuals/instructors that they are, I continue to learn from them on every dive. Next week I am headed for two wreck dives with the shop Owner, a 5k+ diver/instructor's instructor, and even before the dives he has given me some great advice on how this Captain likes to operate his boat.

One other to thing to ask when you are interviewing instructors is if you can lurk in a class with them. Since you have your OW cert, you could also tag along with him on a dive or two. This will give you a good idea if he/she is someone you want to take classes from.

Instructor is the most important thing when learning to dive.

See what you can afford and look into the entirety of the program - dives - books - equipment - online registration etc etc.

Sometime individual pay put a cheap price forward but you find out later that money leaves your pocket through other means - renting equip, air fills - things like that.

like other people have said - instructors are the most important.

I think that best you can take to upgrade your diving after some AOWD is some GUE class for instance Fundamentals .

No need to think too much , just go to VIMEO or YOUTUBE and watch how they swim , comunicate , work some tasks underwater ....., they are all very streamlined , nothing hangs , equipment can grow with you (DIR RECREATIONAL DIVING)

and have you ever seen somwhere else so elegant diving ;-) and from instructor so clear , easy understandable speaking .... just to say wow my respect !

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom