which 7 megapixel to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPX28

Reaction score
I am in the market for a 7 megapixel camera but am not quite sure wich on to get.

I was thinking of the cannon s70 because i liked the array of shooting modes like macro and underwater etc. i would be mostly using it underwater and while traveling
i am a beginner but plan on advancing my skills and would like a camera that i can grow into. What do you think of the cannon s-70??

i have also seen:
olmypus c-7070zoom
mikon coolpix7900
olympus c-7000 zoom
cannon powershot g6

ANy comments and all suggestions welcome
thanks in advance

I would go to http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp and compare each model side by side...look at the features that are important to you.

For me closest focus distance would be an issue.

Also check out www.digideep.com to see which housings are available.

And remember, MP is not everything - there are cameras with fewer MP that do much better images...it has to do the with optics and sensors, too.

Good luck...have fun shopping!!

CAPX28:
I am in the market for a 7 megapixel camera but am not quite sure wich on to get.

I was thinking of the cannon s70 because i liked the array of shooting modes like macro and underwater etc. i would be mostly using it underwater and while traveling
i am a beginner but plan on advancing my skills and would like a camera that i can grow into. What do you think of the cannon s-70??

i have also seen:
olmypus c-7070zoom
mikon coolpix7900
olympus c-7000 zoom
cannon powershot g6

ANy comments and all suggestions welcome
thanks in advance

I don't even know where to start on that one. A beginner who wants a 7 with an add-on housing to grow into? Dude...you must have a lot more money than I do!!

Hi guys, haven't checked in here yet. Been busy planning a trip with the singles to Utila.

Glad to be here and soon (what ever that is) I will enter a few images for your comments. Just threw a couple out there when I rejoined, but where oh where did I put that file I was working on? :crafty:

Do seriously consider the Fuji F810. If the camera is going to be used primarily for underwater, here are a few proven cameras (no order of sequence)

Beginners do don't wanna spend too much, or have too big a heartache when the cam floods -
1) Fuji F810 (6mpx -> 12mpx)
2) Oly 5050/5060 (5mpx)
3) Canon A95 (5mpx, cheap, has manufacturer housing, works well enough)

More advanced photographers who don't mind spending heaps but not to the extent of DSLRs
4) Oly 8080
5) Canon G6 (Proven to work well if you pair it with a focus light and strobes)
6) Oly 7070 (Proven to work well if you pair it with a focus light and strobes)

My 2 psi will be
- don't spend too much on your cam now
- get something to learn the ropes of UW photography
- spend only as much as what you don't mind flooding
- when you get the hang of shooting UW and find that you are really interested, then go into DSLR. Get your wallet prepared because the housing is going to be more expensive than the camera.
- buy one with the bulk you are willing to carry...

On the above choices, F810 will be best in its class. The battery life leaves alot to be desired. However, it last long enough to fill a 512MB card (or if you are trigger happy, 1GB card). 5050, if you still can find it at a low price, grab it. Between it and it's successors (5060 and 7070), its still the better one. Canon gives good photos but has a longer shutter lag and is proven to work well.

If you are fine with a simple Point and Shoot and don't wanna be bothered with manual controls, go for the Fuji F10. It's simply the best P&S now. Downside, no real manual controls. Cheap, extraordinary noise control (very usable ISO400 and IS800, usable ISO1600), good low light performance, very very fast shutter lag (0.3-0.5s).

edwinh:
Do seriously consider the Fuji F810. If the camera is going to be used primarily for underwater, here are a few proven cameras (no order of sequence)

Beginners do don't wanna spend too much, or have too big a heartache when the cam floods -
1) Fuji F810 (6mpx -> 12mpx)
2) Oly 5050/5060 (5mpx)
3) Canon A95 (5mpx, cheap, has manufacturer housing, works well enough)

More advanced photographers who don't mind spending heaps but not to the extent of DSLRs
4) Oly 8080
5) Canon G6 (Proven to work well if you pair it with a focus light and strobes)
6) Oly 7070 (Proven to work well if you pair it with a focus light and strobes)

My 2 psi will be
- don't spend too much on your cam now
- get something to learn the ropes of UW photography
- spend only as much as what you don't mind flooding
- when you get the hang of shooting UW and find that you are really interested, then go into DSLR. Get your wallet prepared because the housing is going to be more expensive than the camera.
- buy one with the bulk you are willing to carry...

On the above choices, F810 will be best in its class. The battery life leaves alot to be desired. However, it last long enough to fill a 512MB card (or if you are trigger happy, 1GB card). 5050, if you still can find it at a low price, grab it. Between it and it's successors (5060 and 7070), its still the better one. Canon gives good photos but has a longer shutter lag and is proven to work well.

If you are fine with a simple Point and Shoot and don't wanna be bothered with manual controls, go for the Fuji F10. It's simply the best P&S now. Downside, no real manual controls. Cheap, extraordinary noise control (very usable ISO400 and IS800, usable ISO1600), good low light performance, very very fast shutter lag (0.3-0.5s).

That is great advice. Listen to this advice.

I have the g6 any advice on a good focus light (not too expensive) and how to attach (ike housing) edwinh?

OK what i really want to know is what is the diff in price between say an Oly 8080 and a Canon Dig Rebel. I hear all this talk that SLRs are soo expensive but really they are not, you can get one for under $1000 no problem. I am thinking, but not really sure, that an 8080 or something is probably pretty similar in price.

If you want to grow into a camera get the low end SLR, that way you don't have to put up with the slllllloooooowwwwww shutter that the 8080 has (try it on super macro where i have seen people want to destroy the camera because of missed mandarin fish shots due to slloooooowwwww shutter lag)

D70 or Canon Dig Rebel in Ike housing with one zoom and 1 macro lens compared to 8080 or similar in Ike housing can't be that much of a difference price wise cuz i know 8080 is rather expensive.

Do yourself a favour and go SLR cuz the consumer cams just kill soo many shots with shutter lag.

My 2 cents
Mike

lukeROB, Inon Z-202F is has a focus light built in. If you have the bucks to spend, D-2000.
Or you can attach a light source on the other arm, preferably HID. Ike has an option for the Mini-C, you can check out the ike site. I have seen divers with setups with no strobes, just two huge HID that turns a night dive into a day dive. And you can be sure that you'll be very much blinded when they take a photo of you.

Digital Rebel and D70/70S/50 are sub USD1000 (body alone). Ikelite housing for those will cost more than the camera without port. It's not that affordable. I do agree with Mike, if you wanna get 8080 with Ike housing, it will be much more cost effective to buy a DSLR. However, if you wanna get 8080 with Oly housing, then you'll be saving a few hundred bucks. In all, it boils down to our photography needs.

I have thought of going DSLR, my wallet didn't allow me. If I start earning my living on that, I'll plunge right in. For now, I'll just enjoy my dives and record the interesting marine life I see without both my hands full on holding the camera.

WOW alot of good info here....keep it coming

This decision is going to be alot harder than i anticipated.

is the shutter lag on non dslr cameras that bad?? I do want to do macro shooting
and also still be able to capture the big schools of fish.

I guess i am looking for an all around camera to play and learn with, however i dont want to spend the money if i am going to grow out of it rather quickly.

i guess i still have alot of info to sift through.
OH Yeah ...anything i should stay away from??
Feel free to keep the info and suggestions coming

thanks in advance

CAPX28:
WOW alot of good info here....keep it coming

This decision is going to be alot harder than i anticipated.

is the shutter lag on non dslr cameras that bad?? I do want to do macro shooting
and also still be able to capture the big schools of fish.

I guess i am looking for an all around camera to play and learn with, however i dont want to spend the money if i am going to grow out of it rather quickly.

i guess i still have alot of info to sift through.
OH Yeah ...anything i should stay away from??
Feel free to keep the info and suggestions coming

thanks in advance

I think in your case, get the A95, with the manufacturer's housing. Cheap, superb battery life, lots of manual control, custom white balancing, learn to half-press then shoot. Shutter lag is average ~0.8sec. Know your equipment, learn how to use it and you'll be taking great photos. Even with the best DSLR, you'll get crap shots if you don't know how to use it.

If it's easy to find at your area, get the F810 with manufacturer's housing. Where I am, it costs about the same and is a much better camera, other than battery life.

Back
Top Bottom