wheres the cave?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I read somewhere that there is a fresh water outlet near the park, that you can swim into. I was wondering how do you get there, and what is involved with doing it? do you have to go into chankanab park itself ? or can you get there some other way, Etc.

diverrick:
I read somewhere that there is a fresh water outlet near the park, that you can swim into. I was wondering how do you get there, and what is involved with doing it? do you have to go into chankanab park itself ? or can you get there some other way, Etc.

It's near the southern end of the park, inside it. There are a couple of dive ops in the park where you can get tanks and weights; nowadays you must hire a DM from one of them to accompany you, and he/she will guide you to and through it.

It's a pretty cool spot, definitely worth doing, IMO. It's a fairly large room with two entrances; between them you can always see daylight (no lights are allowed). There is usually a "curtain" of small sivery fish across the opening and 3 to 4 foot log tarpon cruising around inside under the halocline.

Thanks for the info. I am planning on going back in July, but still am up in the air as to where I'll be staying, as it looks as though my usual place may not work out this time around.
What are we talking here for costs? I know there is a fee to get in, then the DM, then the rental.

Chankanab is $12 per person entrance fee. I did the "cave" a couple years ago but have not done it since. I looked at the prices this year, but can't give you an exact price (non-diving day :wink:) . Best guess is $20-$25 to dive with a DM. I agree with ggunn that it is definately worthwhile. The tarpon are very cool.

I was there last week, it was $35.00 for a dive, Equipment and DM included. No wet suits though. Most people who were diving seemed to be trying scuba out for the first time.

I am a bit confused. When you say no wet suits, do you mean no one was needing them, or they are not allowed? If they are not aloowed, I wonder why?
I have always needed my suit down there, I can't imagine the fresh water is any warmer than the SW

diverrick:
I am a bit confused. When you say no wet suits, do you mean no one was needing them, or they are not allowed? If they are not aloowed, I wonder why?
I have always needed my suit down there, I can't imagine the fresh water is any warmer than the SW

I went there last time I was on Coz, and I wore my shorty. No one objected. They do, however, proscribe knives and lights.

diverrick:
I am a bit confused. When you say no wet suits, do you mean no one was needing them, or they are not allowed?

There was no wet suits to rent that I could see at the 3 dive stores. No one had one on and there defiantly some chilly divers getting out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom