Where's all the new guys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuck Tribolet:
As near as I can tell, nobody called anybody a tool.

I read "knob" as a mispelt "newb".

Don't get me wrong, there are a couple of DIR advocates (not in this geography)
that come across as, to be polite, obnoxious. I think they are a net negative for dive
safety in that they turn off far more people than they convert.

I am sure this says it all :knob: and it is from the "Smilies" section of this board. Not everyone is nice :no

There are many benefits to using technical diving skills and equipment, even in a recreational diving atmosphere. I have not met a diver yet, that would call people names just because they are new. At least not if they are not good friends and kiding around, so I wouldn't have taken notice.

Brian, you have met and hung out with Ryan, who is basically DIR having taken Fundies, and using all DIR gear configurations. Chris is about to take Fundies, and again dives a DIR rig. Both of them are way cool guys, that I have learned a lot from and enjoy diving with.

I follow what I want of the DIR way, such as using a shorter 5 foot reg hose vs a 7 footer, and a bungeed backup reg. I've found it is much harder to have your reg kicked out with the hose around your neck, air shares are much easier, kelp doesn't bump the main reg hose at all, and we will always know where our backup reg is. When I moved my compass to my wrist, WOW did my navigation improve. The switch to a BP/W and weight belt helped make the shore diving hikes much easier, and the BP/W is glued to my body. After diving with Ryan and his HID light it changed the way I viewed a light from a luxury, to the easiest way of signaling your buddy. All you have to do is see your buddies light pass by you to know where he is. The next thing we need to work on is underwater communication with dive buddies. Being able to commmunicate is important whether we are above or under the water.

Not sure why I wrote that, guess I am bored sitting on hold...

Met two people who haven't dove for a long time and was their first time diving in Monterey on Saturday on the BH2. After seeing that horrible visibility and swells, don't know if those two are going to be diving ever again.

gonphishing:
open mouth and insert foot!!!

Don't worry Brian, you know I am good for that too :D

Hey

Can someone tell me more about the mentioned 'big brother' dives... they sound like just the thing for a mentor/padwan meet and greet...

Id be up for the next one, definately

cheers

There's some clubs around the Bay Area that put on their own version of a "Big Brother" dive... Diving singles is one of them (Chuck's usually involved in putting that one on) The 5thDX crowd usually puts on "Tweaks" as needed. They are run more for the benefit of the one who have been thru Essentials or Funamentals and is/are working toward passing a provisional status ect... It is also a good chance to try on a BP&W long hose and bungied back up and get to dive with some DIR guys...

Here on SB we've tossed out some "Mentoring" opportunities now and then... nothing organized (no instruction) just a chance for the new guy to dive with different other divers with a little more experience... Check out different styles of diving and ask questions...

Hinalo:
OK, to create at least an instance of the opposite, I'm going to try to persuade a friend who only dives tropical to buddy with me up here in NCal.

I am sure if he gives it a chance he will like it. There is so much life along our coast that you won't find many other places. Where do you plan on diving?

Andy, I'll probably get him onto a nice, easy boat dive in Monterey for a first experience. After that, if he likes it anywhere from monterey up the north coast.

Hinalo:
Andy, I'll probably get him onto a nice, easy boat dive in Monterey for a first experience. After that, if he likes it anywhere from monterey up the north coast.

Not a bad way to start. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom