Where's a good location to take the openwater class near Tuscaloosa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bamamedic

Contributor
Reaction score
Somewhere between "hold my beer and watch this!" a
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm interested in taking the openwater class sometime in the next few months. I live in Tuscaloosa, AL. Does anyone know of any good classes within driving distance? I have one heck of an odd work schedule (24/48), so I'm probably going to have to go with a private instructor, or one of those weekend "quickie" classes.

Thanks!

There is ABWA, Alabama Blue Water Adventures, in Pelham.
http://www.divealabama.com/
Not too far from you (an hour maybe). I cannot find online and have not heard of a dive shop in Tuscaloosa.

There are also Scubaboard members here in North Alabama and also in Montgomery that teach. Either way would be a bout a 3- 4 hour journey. But I'll bet that either will probably take their class to ABWA for the OW dives.

there has to be a shop there somewhere

There is(was?) a nice diveshop that UofA went through for OW Scuba courses. I don't remember the name, but it was in the same shopping strip as some place that sold video games and movies(used) and also took trade-ins. LOL.

SuPrBuGmAn:
There is(was?) a nice diveshop that UofA went through for OW Scuba courses. I don't remember the name, but it was in the same shopping strip as some place that sold video games and movies(used) and also took trade-ins. LOL.

Phil Ellis

The UofA probably teaches courses in their aquatic Center for colleg credit. In fact, it hasn't been that long ago that a student died in a scuba class at the aquatic center. I don't know who was conducting the class. I am not sure about wanting to know... or at least wanting to tell someone who is looking for them. Probably had nothing to do with the quality of the shop.

Anyway, I've been in and out of Tuscaloosa all my life and I have never seen a dive shop or dive flag. But you would think that there would be just to support a college of that size.

There is(was?) definately a shop in Tuscaloosa... I've been inside it(~2 years ago?), they had quite a bit of gear and a nice showroom. ScubaPro dealers if I remember correctly.

There was a large shark out in front of the shop. It was off a pretty large road as well.

SuPrBuGmAn:
There is(was?) definately a shop in Tuscaloosa... I've been inside it(~2 years ago?), they had quite a bit of gear and a nice showroom. ScubaPro dealers if I remember correctly.

There was a large shark out in front of the shop. It was off a pretty large road as well.

SKI SCUBA
618 15TH ST. EAST TUSCALOOSA, AL 35401
(205) 758-3900

(Maybe??)

Unfortunately, the dive shop in Tuscaloosa went out of business a few months ago. (which totally sucks).

Thanks, anyways :)

The dive shop was on University Blvd. And it did close about 6 months ago.

The only thing I can recommend is Southern Skin Divers in Birmingham. I used them because their class schedule was flexible during the week and after work for me. My schedule changes every third week so it was difficult to find a shop that did not require you to be in class like 2 or 3 weekends in a row.

www.ssdsupply.com if you are interested. The owners are great and they are good instructors. Spencer and Forrest Phillips and Mark Tant. I know it would be a bit of a drive but they do have an indoor 15ft deep pool for training, And you can come by anytime they are open to practice skills while taking class or even after you get your c-card.

Plus, they do lots of trips to the gulf shore diving and boat diving and well as trips to Hawaii, Bonaire, Truk Lagoon, Cozumel and the Bahama's. I know some new divers like to do their first dive trips with someone they know. Their trips are resonably priced.

Like rdharbis said there is ABWA but their schedule is weekends only. At least the last time I checked.

Back
Top Bottom