Where's a good area in Thailand with CLOSE dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

South of Koh Phi Phi is Koh Lanta, which is more laid back, but again, the boat trips...

For what you are looking for and the time you have, I'd go to the Philippines. You can spend a week on each of several islands/dive spots, do a course in each one, then fly or take a ferry to the next spot. Bohol, Cebu, Apo Island...

Hey all, thanks for all the good advice, I really appreciate it.

You are right, I don't particularly like spending 40 minutes on a boat, especially in rough waters getting queasy and people stumbling about on the boat! Unfortunately it was quite rainy and rough in Koh Samui over Christmas. Sort of put me off of long boat rides, ha ha!

I agree with the suggestion about the Philippines. When I went to Puerto Galera, it was amazing how close the sites were. Don't think we ever really went more than 10-15 minutes away by banka. That was great, very convenient. And Puerto Galera was definitely better than Koh Tao in terms of visibility and variety of marine life.

I've thought about the liveaboard, and haven't tried one yet. I'd like to check it out, see how I can handle five days on a boat. But like Arizona said, since I have the time, why not have some variety?

Haven't been to Phi Phi yet but the suggestions sound good. Will have to do some research. Phuket is also an option and sounds pretty decent.

Ah so many options! The luxury of the decision making! The fantasizing will help me pass the remainder of my days here............ until I am on the beach again..........

In defense of Koh Tao, December is not the season to be diving there :) It is much better in May-October.

East Coast

Sail rock from KPG 20 mins.
Shark island from Koh Tao 20 mins.

West Coast

Kow lak boonsson wreck 15 mins by longtail
Kata house reef.
Phi Phi (bay diving)

There is lots more, But for truly awesome shore diving go to Bali ,Tulamben the liberty wreck is great and just a short swim in Scuba of shore.

My wife also does not enjoy the boat rides so as silly as this may seem try a live aboard on a big stable boat at the Simmilans, Once there its calm bays great surroundings and more like a floating hotel,the diving is pretty good to.

Have fun !!

I'd tend to agree that shore diving in Thailand is not that great. One place that seemed to have some potential in this regard is Koh Lipe. Although I do admit I know very little about this location, I just got that impression from a brief visit last year. I also know of one or two special places that I am not going to openly discuss ;-)

I think if you have such a long time off that you need to decide whether you want to travel around to a lot of different dive locations or whether you want to stay some time in a place which has enough diving to fulfil your needs. Also as you are a keen OW diver are you looking to learn more?

If all you want to do is to just do a lot of diving (and you have enough money of course) but not get involved with further courses then I would be inclined to agree with the advice suggesting variety.

If however you are looking to further your education it could be worth finding a dive centre in a particular area that will be able to offer you a variety of diving whilst offering top quality instruction in small groups. I moved from OW to DM with one dive centre and found the high standard of education and continuance extremely beneficial.

Have fun!

Dear all, hope it is not too late to resurrect this thread, but am still planning for where I should go.

To reply to Surinboy's wise advice, I am indeed looking to further my training and knowledge, so would prefer to stay in one place for a while and build up a good relationship with the dive shop.

Another important factor is the boyfriend, who travels often for his job (usually one week on, one week off). We will need some kind of steady 'base' for those months. That's why I was thinking either Philippines or Thailand (easy access by flight).

So other than just diving, it would also be nice to have a fun town with a little action... I recently went to Moalboal, which was beautiful and the diving great, but the town had absolutely nothing going on, and after 8 days we were definitely ready to go. I would even deal with the boat rides to the dive sites if there was a good town to live in. Maybe Krabi? Phuket?

Krabi and Phuket sound good for you. Phi Phi would also be good, but has a bit longer travel times because of the ferries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom