Where's a good area in Thailand with CLOSE dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BabyFugu

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to finish my corporate slavery contract in Hong Kong soon, and plan to take two to three months off to go somewhere idyllic, take a number of dive courses (right now I only have OW), and do a heck of a lot of diving. (yes, I'm very ambitious!)

I'm looking at Thailand, but having just got back from a week in Koh Samui, I would like to hear the board's recommendations on what island/location has really close dive sites? I stayed in Koh Tao for two days and did some good dives, but really don't fancy spending so much time on a boat just to get to the site. I've heard most of Phuket's best sites are quite far away too but I haven't dived there before. Can anyone recommend a place where the sites are easy, close and convenient -- not 40 minutes by boat?

The Koh Tao travel times to dive sites should be fairly short, especially if you cut the Seatran out and go directly from Koh Tao as you indicated. Perhaps you are looking for shore dives instead as I doubt you could get much closer unless you were shore diving.

Consider the time of year as seasons vary in Thailand. Oct - May Andaman, June - Oct The Gulf of Siam.

If you have 2-3 months go for variety.

Good luck with everything,

Last edited:
From Phuket close to shore: Koh Puu, Karon Rock and the recently sunk airplanes.

All close by shore, normally done by longtail (10 minutes from shore).

I would rate all these sites as nice diving, and since you say you thought Koh Tao was good, I'm sure you'll have a ball at these sites.

Phi Phi has dive sites close to the shops, but only a few... you could spend a few days there.

Here's my 2 cents - take a liveaboard. Once on the boat the dive sites are like... 5 meters from your bed. The Similan Islands season runs until early May. Worth considering.

If you don't like liveaboards and want shore based dives - Bali, Sipadan (Mabul), Lembeh, some place in the Philippines maybe... but the best diving in Thailand is not shore diving!

I'd take a wild guess that you are not a great fan of spending a long time on a boat. I'd suggest the Phi Phi Islands. All of their sites are between 25 minutes and 40 minutes from the main island. Check out The Adventure Club as they are run by a British expat that knows his stuff.

Koh Tao has about same distance to the dive sites. They may even be shorter than the times you indicate. I agree with you PPDC RE: that the boat is OP issue. So "same same"... But you don't have to be a "British expat" to know your stuff :)

Hi
Between the months of October - end April there are some very pleasant shore entry and longtail boat dives to sites only minutes off Kata Noi, Kata and Karon beaches. To name some of them Karon Rock, Koh Pu East and West, Kata Noi Coral Gardens and Kata Noi South Point. Also the shore entry dives to the respective House Reefs are easily conducted off these beaches. They are certainly not indicative of the best diving that Thailand has to offer although these sites are ideal for those who do not want to spend an entire day out on a day trip. They are also great for diver education.

Hi
Between the months of October - end April there are some very pleasant shore entry and longtail boat dives to sites only minutes off Kata Noi, Kata and Karon beaches. To name some of them Karon Rock, Koh Pu East and West, Kata Noi Coral Gardens and Kata Noi South Point. Also the shore entry dives to the respective House Reefs are easily conducted off these beaches. They are certainly not indicative of the best diving that Thailand has to offer although these sites are ideal for those who do not want to spend an entire day out on a day trip. They are also great for diver education.

I used to have a blast at Karon Rock and the South Pt Kata Noi. If I remember correctly there is even a photo of a Ghostpipe fish taken at the house reef of the Phuket Scuba Club.

Surf and Dive Charters to North Sumatra, Simeulue, and Banyak Islands.

Back
Top Bottom