Where would YOu Mount Tank Brackets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Where would you mount Tank Brackets on a Trophy 2359?

The trophy 23' has a I/O and to be honest it doesnt have much deck space for tank brackets on the gunwals.

So I was thinking about putting 4 adjustable tank brackets from leisurepro on the swim plateform?
is this practical? would this put strain on your Transome?

I would even leave the BC on the tanks and have the regs in the storage until gettting ready to dive.

does this make sense...Giving the lack of deck space?

Giving the Transome door I figure it would be easy when out at sea to just walk out grab your tank BC put it on the I/O engine cover (of course you would put on your dive gear I.E. wet suite fins etc) put on the reg along with the weights then just walk through the transome door and do your dive?

where else would you suggest putting tanks?

the pics below is from a boat that has some pics that i got..but thats not my boat...

http://www.usedboats.com/powerboats/2002/23'-ft/trophy/2359-hardtop/walk-around/inboard/08724/989539.htm

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?Op=dtSearch

http://www.usedboats.com/enlarged_photo.php?p=media/images/989539_12.jpeg&name=Photo Description

thanks for your help....i'll give you guys update pics once i get your suggestions.

Weight distribution is important. If too much weight is too far after, the boat runs
around with its nose in the air. I'd run an experiment -- Put two hundred pounds on
the swim step, get an appropriate number of buddies and gear on board, and take
a spin. My experience is that most boats are happier with tanks forward. Most
people are happier being after (less bouncy).

And are you actually talking about the "The Ultimate Scuba Tank Holder by Max Holding
Systems"? I think that's really made by http://www.rollcontrolsystem.com/rollcontrol.htm
or at least it's very similar.

I think given space it would work great and given the length of the boat if it affects the handling you could trim it out with the tabs. The tanks would be right up against the transom so as far as stress it’s a lot less then climbing up the ladder at the out side edge of the swim platform. The only part that would make me REALLY nervous is that if that tank comes lose there is nothing to keep it from going over board. I would personally try to keep them inside the cockpit if at all possible. What about having a rack welded up to set over the top of IO box?

All it takes is one time to kinda forget to cinch down the straps on the way in after a long day out there and you've created a really cool artifical reef.

Another vote for gear forward, people aft. Lie the tanks down if you have to.

The swim step is likely to seperate from the boat if you put too much weight on it and tackle rough water. Nevermind losing stuff overboard.

Have you considered removing the table, and mounting the tanks to the aft facing bench seat? That would put the weight further up front, and most people don't like sitting facing backwards, unless we're skiing. I doubt you'd be skiing with tanks on board. Also, you probably wouldn't need the table when diving, but when your not, you could use the dinette as designed.

I am considering this boat myself, I had the thought of putting tank racks on the top of the cabin,I don't know if the roof would hold up, or how it would be taking the tanks up and down. I was going to ask my local dealer about it as I get closer to making a decision on the boat purchase. How do you like the boat overall, I would love to get some input from someone using one. Thanks, Mike

akmike:
I am considering this boat myself, I had the thought of putting tank racks on the top of the cabin,I don't know if the roof would hold up, or how it would be taking the tanks up and down. I was going to ask my local dealer about it as I get closer to making a decision on the boat purchase. How do you like the boat overall, I would love to get some input from someone using one. Thanks, Mike

I used to have a 2004 2359 hard top that I used for charters. I would take out 6 divers with 2 tanks each and had no problem. My tank racks were mounted along the freeboard (removed the padded cushion) and the spare tanks were stored where the table normally went. Build a wooden rack that is similar to a big milk bottle holder that would fit the dimensions of that space. Youd can fit 6 112cf tanks in that space. Word of advice though, those boats are heavy in the back end ....make sure you get 6 inch risers for the exhaust, and switch the standard 3 blade aluminum prop for the 4 blade stainless. When I did that I had no problem getting out of the hole in under 8 seconds with a full load. Not to mention my fuel costs dropped by 1/3 because of being able to run it at lower rpms.

I've since traded that boat in for another that is more geared towards strictly diving. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to PM me or email me at chris@rankinscharters.com

Chris

where can i buy four blade props? and which one is the best? whats the 6'' riser for the exhaust, can you please go into further detail?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom