Where would you go--another recommendations thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you considered a liveaboard dive trip?

Explorer Ventures is offering some great fall specials if they haven't already sold out.

The Turks and Caicos has some of the best diving we have experienced in the Caribbean, beautiful walls and lots of large creatures - including sharks on almost every dive. But using a land-based dive operator from Provo is not the best way to dive this area because of the long rides to the best dive sites. You will spend much of the day traveling to and from the reef.

A liveaboard includes foods and lodging and all your diving and you can easily do 4-5 dives dives a day if you wish. The diving is easy and if the weather cooperates you will be diving the most pristine locations.

The links below offer info about Explorer fall specials below. If they still have space you could spend 3 days on Provo enjoying the island and then board the T&C Explorer for a dive vacation!

Be aware that there will be some additional charges (fuel surcharge, taxes, tips). Have fun wherever you decide to go!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tr...razy-insane-oct-10-17-2015-a.html#post7470641

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ex...ntures-crazy-insane-specials.html#post7469442

If you go west, you could plan a layover for a day or 2 in Vegas and do this dive:

| Dive the B29 with TDL!

It may not be "once in a lifetime", but it is certainly somewhat unique and could possibly go away next year (due to permitting OR weather) or any time after that.

I'm doing it on 9/12. Can't wait!

stuartv, I just heard that the B29 was now within standard rec depths recently and it's on my list. I wouldn't want to hope for an extended drought but I'd love to see this plane! Next trip to Vegas I'll definitely be doing it.

---------- Post added August 13th, 2015 at 03:36 PM ----------

KathyV, we haven't entirely ruled out liveaboards yet. I get horribly seasick though so we'll have to see how that goes. We've considered one of the shorter liveaboards for a "quick trip" in the past but haven't done one yet.

Has the water level dropped that much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For future reference. Don't waste your time diving in Thailand. The best sites in the similans or durians are nothing special. Can't comment on the PI yet, although at this very moment sitting in the airport lounge heading to Manila then south to board a liveaboard so will be able to comment soon. Highly recommend liveaboard a rather than shore based you get much better sites

Fiji its warm Theres lots to see.its easy to fly to from the US.
Vanuatu-Happy to stand corrected but IMO close to the best wreck diving in the world.

For future reference. Don't waste your time diving in Thailand. The best sites in the similans or durians are nothing special. Can't comment on the PI yet, although at this very moment sitting in the airport lounge heading to Manila then south to board a liveaboard so will be able to comment soon. Highly recommend liveaboard a rather than shore based you get much better sites
I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I very much enjoyed Thailand both for the diving activity (though not as good as other places) and for the surface intervals, which are a big part of why I'd travel that far for any kind of vacation.

...KathyV, we haven't entirely ruled out liveaboards yet. I get horribly seasick though so we'll have to see how that goes. We've considered one of the shorter liveaboards for a "quick trip" in the past but haven't done one yet.

I am also very subject to seasickness but it is the worst when I have to do a deep water crossing (like Florida to the Bahamas or St. Martin to Saba.) I didn't have any problems when we did the T&C liveaboard and I understand that is the norm for that area, but of course everybody is different.

I am not sure that a short trip is the best solution. I usually get sick the first day/night and then my body adjusts and I am fine for the rest of the trip. If you take a short trip you might just get to enjoy the bad part.

My procedure to reduce/minimize seasickness is to arrive at least a day or two (or more) before departure to rest and relax and feel healthy and unstressed. I eat lightly and avoid alcohol on the day of departure and take the Triptone or Dramamine before I board the boat. When we get onboard we try to "take care of business" quickly before we get underway. My husband heads to the dive deck and sets up our gear and I head to the cabin to put away our belongings and then I take care of any paperwork with the crew.

After we get underway I stay up on deck in the fresh air and keep watching the horizon. I try to stay hydrated if I can tolerate water. Sometimes I sleep in a lounge chair on deck the first night instead of going to the cabin. I have had some really awful first nights on liveaboards, but by the mid-day the next day I'm usually just fine and don't have any other problems for the rest of the trip. It sounds like an unpleasant way to start a "trip to paradise" but we have had some wonderful liveaboard trips with lots of beautiful diving in pristine locations.

Last edited:
Maybe you have already made a decision on where to go, but suggest looking my favorite, "Key West". I do an annual trip and always enjoy it. Saw you are DC area, and if either are active or retired military, you can get rooms through MWR and reduced rates. WIll save you $$ on rooms and can spend on good food and diving. Just an idea. Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom