Where was the best visibility you ever encountered?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mayan Riviera cenotes....December of 2004. Can't estimate...over 200 ft I guess.

I recently dove (last August) in Clear Lake which is in the middle of the cascade mountains in Oregon. The visbility was 200+, but the water temperature was 35 degrees.

es601:
OK I think most of us would admit that diving definitely about seeing, so where and when was the absolute best visibility you have ever encountered and what was your guesstimate of the distance??:06: For ex. Little Cayman in April 150' etc.

Epcot Living Seas 200+ ft. :wink:

Alex

Late 60’s above the Arctic Circle. Vis was like not being in the water.

Gary D.

es601:
OK I think most of us would admit that diving definitely about seeing, so where and when was the absolute best visibility you have ever encountered and what was your guesstimate of the distance??:06: For ex. Little Cayman in April 150' etc.

I agree with the Cayman Island vis., several times saw the same 150 FSW + and it seemed like infinity. Have been diving many times in the Channel Island kelp forests with 80to 100+ vis and that was even more amazing with all the great sea creatures and the kelp; this great U/W forest with such a wide variety of life. Monterey, in the fall, with no plankton bloom, and sea lions and seals, Drift diving in Hawaii, Mexico and all its diversity. Where is the best U/W vis on the planet?

July 8, 2001 in the Gulf of Mexico 28 miles off Sanibel Island. It was difficult to tell where the air ended and the water began. Hundreds of Barracuda under the boat looked like they were floatring in air. I looked like the boat should fall as there appeared to be nothing supporting it. Of course, when we hit the thermocline, viz dropped to about 20 ft.

As with others, the best viz was in a cenote. For me it was the Dos Ojos Cenote, Yucatan Mexico

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom