Where was the best visibility you ever encountered?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockjock3:
What about horizontal viz since that is how most divers measure it. I can routinely see 2-3+ times further vertically than horizontally.
Clear in all directions. What sticks in my mind is that it was like the water wasn't even there --- like I was suspended in air with the wall out in front of me.

It was so awesome that I swam quite a ways out from the wall to get a better wide, wide angle view. Easily 300'+ for still seeing good details, probably 500'+if I was calling viz by just being able to see a diver and/or bubbles.

I've done the Molokini backwall at least 40 times and this time was dramatically better than any other time. Some days the viz is 100', sometimes it's 200', but the water still limits the viz and you are aware of having water between you and other things. On that very special day, it was like the water wasn't even there. I've had that same sort of super high viz experience in cenotes, but there your line of sight is limited by the twists and turns of the passages. Super clear and wide open spaces is an awesome combo.

(Yes, as you can probably tell from the tone of my post, I still get excited about it when thinking back to that day!)

When I started diving in Turkey in the early 1970's, we commonly had 60 to 100 foot viz. It was not unusual to be cruising at full speed in a 50 HP twin hull & be able to look down & count sea urchins on the bottom at 60 feet.

Twice, I've had essentially unlimited visibility. Once in Key Largo, years ago and once the day after Hugo passed off the coast of Florida at West Palm Beach. Like flying.

Cypress Springs in Florida. 300' of measured lateral (horizontal) visibility.

Red Sea in 1994. Could see the wreck on the bottom at 120' clear as if you were next to it. You could see a long way that day. Picked up a shark on the edge wall that was tiny, when it got up to us it was about 16'. Now in the lakes if its over 5' vis its great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom