Where was the best visibility you ever encountered?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK I think most of us would admit that diving definitely about seeing, so where and when was the absolute best visibility you have ever encountered and what was your guesstimate of the distance??:06: For ex. Little Cayman in April 150' etc.

Without question, Ginnie Springs. Impossible to estimate. Basically the "horizon" disappeared. It's like diving in air.

Last time I was there, it was rainy, cold, and muddy. We had the surface side of the devil's to ourselves. Bottled water should look that clear.

Aqaba, Red Sea, January...~40-50m (120-150ft)

Backwall Molokini off Maui, could almost see Oregon from there.

350'+ of visibility at Molokini, 7AM, February 17th, 2002. http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=285435&postcount=28

The visibility at Molokini is routinely 100+', but this time details on sand below the backwall were visible from the surface, even in early morning light.

Back in April 2003 I posted that as my "best dive ever". Still true.

Snorkling in a cave in Cuba - gets 10 min max of sun a day. The bottom at 100 ft looked to be 10 feet away. Like swimming in bottled water.

Two times.

Turkey 3 years ago. The viz was limited by the curvature of teh earth. From 36 metres I could still see the propellers of the boat moving.

Egypt this year. On one dive I estimated viz at 50 metres. Most of the time I think viz was around 30-40.

Given that in my local diving, I start thinking that viz is good at 6 metres I found both of these experiences mind blowing.

Attached is a picture of me in Egypt. I think the vizibility on this dive was about 30 metres.

R..

Paradise Springs (actually a sinkhole) last Sunday. Could distinctly see the individual steps at the entry ~ 150' away.

Charlie99:
350'+ of visibility at Molokini, 7AM, February 17th, 2002. http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=285435&postcount=28

The visibility at Molokini is routinely 100+', but this time details on sand below the backwall were visible from the surface, even in early morning light.

Back in April 2003 I posted that as my "best dive ever". Still true.

What about horizontal viz since that is how most divers measure it. I can routinely see 2-3+ times further vertically than horizontally.

Back
Top Bottom