Where was my head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

downdeep:
Come on down to the Philly quarry on Saturday (weather permiting). Let's do some diving!

I would love to, but I am in Huntsville, AL, for the summer. I want to visit Philly one of these days, but didnt have any dive buddies locally when I left in the spring. I will be back in August, just in time for school to start. Alot of my weekends are occupied by football, but I would love to get in some diving on a Sunday sometime if possible. How much diving do you do in the area? I would love to know some people in the area that want a college aged dive buddy around. Sorry to hijack my thread though.

-Matt

ya, it's all been said (like that's going to stop me)

1. call the dive means call the dive. if your buddy calls the dive, they're not comfortable diving anymore, and you need to respect that

2. you know this. she knows this. won't happen again. excellent lesson learned,
and good team-building experience.

3. you probably should have called the dive before passing on the decision to her
by default. if you had called the dive, how long would it have taken to put a few
extra pounds on and try again?

4. you're not perfect. get over it. :wink: this won't be your last mistake. you're not perfect. get over it. :wink: this won't be your last mistake (repeat ad nauseam)

Jason B:
Well, no one else said anything so I will. Screw the weighting issues...
When someone calls the dive (as your buddy did) it's not up to you to say no, you just do it.

This is exactly how I have always felt, and still feel today. Why did I not go instantly when she called it? I still do not know. Looking back, I honestly can only describe it as an out-of-body experiance. I really think I would feel better if I had a definitive answer, but I really dont, and I hate that. Even now, I keep replaying the incident in my head, and wonder 'what the hell was I thinking!?'. I do know that it should never be a question though, which is why I posted this. I really do realize what was done was wrong in so many ways; I am merely looking for answers as to why it happened to me like this. While I know it is a serious issue, I did not post this to be told what I did was wrong. I know it was and I take full responsibility for it, because it was my problem. I am just looking to figure out whether it will be a one time issue or something I will have to deal with again.

Anyone may call a dive at any time for any reason and that reason need not be given. It is understood however that though no reason is given calling a dive is not a request, it is a command that a buddy must obey unless prior arrangements and permission to continue have been given. You tell me you gotta whiz and want to get out but I can go on I will. You simply signal up we go up. No question, no argument, up we go.

Sometimes focus is a good thing - sometimes not such a good thing. It might be that you were focused on one aspect of the task at hand, ignoring all else to deal with this one thing.

Something got in the way of the task - buddy called dive, you ignored it and went back to the task at hand, and I would guess right at that moment you were annoyed that you were interrupted in solving the problem.

Happens to me all the time, not in the water(yet), but elsewhere. I get really focused on one thing and the more difficult the issue is to resolve the more focused I become - to the exclusion of other important things. Has its benefits when trying to solve really difficult problems. Can kill you in the water if you start to focus on the wrong things, particularly if your normal problem solving abilities are impared.

Just a caution that if you are this kind of person, you need to be aware and take steps to override the personality trait whenever you are in the water. My mental trick is to make the task a successful, safe dive - everything else is secondary - getting the great shot, finding a particular critter, navigation, practice, whatever - all come second to the "problem" of surfacing safely. Seems to help me keep myself focused on the really important task anyway - so far.

If you are not normally this way then file it, be aware and move on.

Back
Top Bottom