Where to vacation for picky diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozumel is worth a look if you are interested in drift diving. You said you like Grand Cayman partly becuase there is little current. Cozumel has plenty of current, but you adjust your diving style accordingly. Just go with the flow, let the current carry you along. The boat follows along and picks you up at the end of the dive. It's lazy man's diving. The reefs are incredible and the vis is pretty reliable in the 80-100 ft range, often over 100 ft. I have done some great night dives there, once saw seven octopuses on one dive on Paradise Reef, although I have not been back for a night dive since Hurricane Wilma. There is quite a bit to do on Cozumel if you are not diving. My wife went there with me twice before she started diving and loved it. It's easy to get to from most parts of the US and pretty inexpensive.

What about Nassau? You and your hubby can dive with Stuart Cove, vis is normally 60 ft+, and if you decide not to dive, Stuart Cove always has enough divers for him to have a buddy while you enjoy all that Nassau has to offer.
Besides, I've been seeing some great packages to Nassau,
C-Dawg

You have to define what "stuff to do" means to you. Really there is not a lot of stuff to do on many islands. What really matters is whether you're interested in what's available. Like, someone can say Bonaire or whereever is great for windsurfing - which is good if you are interested in windsurfing and useless if not.

If you liked the land activities in Costa Rica, perhaps someplace in Belize, probably southern Belize, would work for you.

Thanks to all. Sounds like Cozumel might be the winner.

Tvictory. I agree East End diving is the best on the island. Alas, the topside activities are eating and drinking rum. :blinking: You can only go to Hell so many times.

St Lucia probably has the best selection of things to do topside but the diving seems to be similar to the conditions in the BVIs. I am all about the rainforest and volcanos.

Bonaire is on my list of places to do when I want to do nothing but dive. But to Damselfish's point, while I love to surf, windsurfing requires more energy than I like to exert on vacation.

I took Cecil's advice and looked at bonairetalk.com. I had to laugh at the "more than 50 things to do on Bonaire besides diving". The first thing to do is picnic on the beach and #4 is snorkel.

Thanks again for the input.

Back
Top Bottom