Where to vacation for picky diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
You guys are usually right on the money so maybe you can help. I am looking for a vacation in the Caribbean with my husband who is most happy while underwater. If he can hang out with other divers, he is really in heaven, so a liveaboard is really a great vacation for him. I would never do a liveaboard again. So we need to find a place that suits us both.

The descrition below will give you an idea of the challenges my husband faces when it comes to me and diving. :D

If someone asks what kind of diver I am the automatically response is 80/100 diver. 80 degrees and 100 ft vis. While that is not specifically true it is pretty accurate. My diving career started in a lake (with a leftover hurricane parked over the top of it) with 0 vis and 56 degree water.

I have dove Ft Lauderdale in November with 7 ft waves and and a divemaster that did not know the meaning of "go with the flow". Belize in 96 was OK. Hawaii other than the Mantas -not worth the flight time to do it again. Costa Rica - Pacific side - really not worth diving. BVI's Liveaboard - out of 15 dives, I only got in 4 times. Vis was 20ft first dive and never got over 60 ft. Rhone was really cool though. Current in the afternoons was alway ripping.

Cayman (DiveTech) is by far my favorite place to dive. Great vis, little current, good coral, great walls, decent fish. If I am looking for a week of diving, that is where I go, however, other than eat, drink rum and dive, not much else to do there.

I love night dives.

I am looking for some place that has decent enough diving so there is a least a possibility of me doing two tanks a day but if I decide not to dive, I am not stuck sitting on a beach with nothing to do. Costa Rica is my favorite land based vacation because of all the activities available.

Bonaire is a little iffy because if I decide not to dive my husband is out of luck for shore diving because he does not have a buddy and there is nothing to do on the island except dive.

Any suggestions?

Cozumel sounds like it would fit your needs. Curacao possibly, but topside is spreadout and more business oriented than touristy if that matters.

I was going to to say Little Cayman but there is absolutely nothing to do their other than dive. Turks and Caicos has beautiful beaches and some nice boutique resorts, but not much topside.

Three answers, Bonaire, Bonaire and Bonaire. My SO does not dive at all and I never lacked for a buddy. It is just to easy there and there's always someone around to dive with if you opt out. Where did you get the idea that's there's noting else to do? What can you do anywhere else that you can not also do on Bonaire? Only kidding. There's lots of other things to do on Bonaire, it's just the diving is so good, these get overlooked.

It really is Diver's Paradise. Try it and if you do not have a great time you can blame me.

A couple of links.

www.bonaireinfo.com

www.bonairetalk.com

If you like Grand Cayman and deem it adequate in terms of non-diving alternatives, consider East End. Many find the diving there to be better than the North Wall and definitely better than 7MB. You'll need a rental car, but then you can take off while hubby dives.

Peter Island BVI?

Fairweatherdiver:
Hello Everyone,

Bonaire is a little iffy because if I decide not to dive my husband is out of luck for shore diving because he does not have a buddy and there is nothing to do on the island except dive.

Any suggestions?

THis part is not true at all. Bonaire is known as much for wind surfing as diving. There is a whole host of things you could do.

I've been to Bonaire and Cozumel, and Coz has a much, much better topside. Great nightlife, good shopping, nice bars, some beaches, etc. But Bonaire is pretty laid back, not much topside, other than driving around the island. Shopping is covered in 10 minutes, beaches aren't great. If you have one person who wants more than just diving, you have to do Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom