Where to take my diving training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuperMiguel

Contributor
Reaction score
Im new to diving and i want to get started i guess my first step is to get certified.. Can you guys recommend any place to get the open water training here in tampa?

I prefer shore diving, but I don't know if Tampa has any shore sites. The other option to shore diving is springs. Supposedly Weeki Wachee springs is open to dive shop groups only. You might want to check out spring diving also.

I just Googled "Scuba diving Tampa Florida" (you actually don't need all those words) and got a list of shops. I suggest you do the same. Then, check them out. It is possible some might not be conveniently close to you, but then again, one that is farther away might be better. Ask them about their classes. How many people in each class? How much time is typically spent in the pool? Is the pool a dedicated one on site, or a rented one nearby? How deep is the deep part of the pool? (I had my initial training in a pool only 5 feet deep, and it is not possible to do all the required skills properly in such a pool.) Where are the open water dives done? Check out the prices , keeping in mind that it can be better to pay a bit more for better instruction. Make your choice wisely, because there is a good chance (although by no means a requirement) that it will become a long term relationship.

There are a bunch of dive shops in the Tampa area.
Deciding on which school you want to get certified with might make a difference. SSI vs PADI vs NAUI etc. (The agencies seem pretty close at the lower level, but there are some differences.)

When I went for my certification I went to a bunch of the local dive shops and met a few of the instructors to find some people I got along with. Some people I just didn't like, or didn't have confidence in. When I met one and started discussing history and politics as well as diving, I had found my instructor.
After your certification you are going to be buying gear and renting tanks, and going for more advanced certifications.
I recommend finding anywhere you feel like you're at home to hang out in the dive shop and chat, and go there and build a relationship.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom