Where to stay? Need good diving and great beaches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travel & Leisure just published its “Top 25 Hotels in the Caribbean, Bermuda and the Bahamas.”

Here are some really outstanding Negril, Jamaica resorts:

5: Couples Swept Away, Negril (Long Bay)

8: Couples Negril, Negril (Bloody Bay)

24: Grand Lido Negril, Negril (Bloody Bay)

You've got to be kidding me....... you book dive trips by their rating in Travel & Leisure? These are not "dive" trips, they are lay on beach and drink frufru drinks trips. The OP said he wanted "great diving and good beaches" not great beaches and mediocre diving.

I quote Paco II from the original post:
The bargain was that for our next trip, the destination had to have fantastic gorgeous amazing beaches. So now I am on the hunt for somewhere with said amazing beaches and hopefully some decent diving as well.

Those I listed have great beaches and good diving. I'll stick by my recomendations.

Hey now, let's all keep this friendly :) I very much appreciate the great posts here!! Tangential question: How's end of January or beginning of February, weather and conditions-wise, for a trip to the Caribbean?

"amazing beaches and hopefully some decent diving" is exactly how we looked at going to Jamaica, and going with those expectations it didn't disapoint, as it was exactly that IMHO.

We've done Grand Cayman and SMB there is amazing as far as sand and water quality go, and the diving was good (although not quite all it's hyped up to be, again IMO. Personally thought the diving was better in Maui and the GBR.. again, just my opinion). Unfortunately, the crowds and hoards of cruise ships tourists took away from the overall experience. The sister islands would be better in that regard.

But this year wanting to try something new, and looking for amazing beaches and "better?" (different?) diving, we're trying Turks and Caicos. (Provo - no cruise ships.. and none in Negril either) Will certainly post a review when we return.

We always go in Jan, or this year, Feb and the weather is awesome then. Still plenty hot enough but drier... and not hurricane season!

Might want to wait to decide until the hurricane season had passed or is further along. Right now lots of islands taking a beating from the hurricanes :(

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to define "amazing beaches". Are those beaches secluded where you are the only ones for miles and miles? Or are you looking for jet skis, para sailing, hobie cats, jewelry hucksters and pina colada huts every 100 yards? Is it calm waters or breaking seas? Shade required? With a little more info, I'd be happy to take a shot at this.

"Are those beaches secluded where you are the only ones for miles and miles? "

ahhh... sounds so nice... but do tell, where might one find that in the oh-so-developed Caribbean???? Because I have yet to find a truly secluded, and amazing, beach anywhere (well, other than Australia or here on Canada's west coast, BION).... and then even if you do, how would you arrange diving? Sounds like something possible only for the rich and famous. LOL :wink:

Seriously, not to be facetious... but we're always looking for destinations for a combo. of "amazing" beaches AND good diving, and it seems really hard to find, never mind a secluded beach (but with enough facilities too) It seems like you always have to trade a little of one thing for another and set trip priorites.

P.S. I agree that defining "amazing beaches" is almost as subjective as defining "the best diving", as everyone tends to have a different opinion depending on what they're looking for. Just as an example, Maui beaches were great for surfers/body surfers, but not as nice for those who just like to wade and float... or for shore diving not so fun when being battered by waves, and once in dealing with the surge and the churned up viz. (but yes, I liked Maui diving a lot... from a boat! :wink:

Last edited:
"Are those beaches secluded where you are the only ones for miles and miles? "

Bahama out-islands are full of secluded beaches. My wife and I have found secluded beaches all over the Caribbean. They just might not be in front of a 2,000 room resort.

Looking for a place with as little beach activity, like those mentioned below, as possible. Big sandy beaches without too many people. Doesn't have to be secluded, but something emptier than, say, Waikiki. Just want somewhere to be able to enjoy the sand, nice water to swim in, without a lot of hustle bustle.

I'm not sure how to define "amazing beaches". Are those beaches secluded where you are the only ones for miles and miles? Or are you looking for jet skis, para sailing, hobie cats, jewelry hucksters and pina colada huts every 100 yards? Is it calm waters or breaking seas? Shade required? With a little more info, I'd be happy to take a shot at this.

Look forward to your review after your trip. This would be for something in late Jan or February. Thanks!

... But this year wanting to try something new, and looking for amazing beaches and "better?" (different?) diving, we're trying Turks and Caicos. (Provo - no cruise ships.. and none in Negril either) Will certainly post a review when we return.

We always go in Jan, or this year, Feb and the weather is awesome then. Still plenty hot enough but drier... and not hurricane season!

Might want to wait to decide until the hurricane season had passed or is further along. Right now lots of islands taking a beating from the hurricanes :(

"They just might not be in front of a 2,000 room resort." No, likely not!! When I think of wall to wall mega huge resorts I think of the Mayan Riviera (or Waikiki or Punta Cana or....)

Definitely where ever there are a lot of big resorts close together you are going to get more people, and when you add all the tens of thousands of people from the cruise ships (increasing all the time as ships get bigger and bigger and there are more and more of them) in town for a day to shop, lay on the beach or go for a couple dives, it also inevitably makes it that much busier. (Can you tell I like to avoid places with cruise ship ports? lol) Also, the easier a destination is to get to, the more people tend to visit. So if it takes a lot of time, connections, small flights and/or boat trips to get there, it's bound to have less people, right? But with that usually comes a higher cost too.... always pros and cons.

Negril's SMB has a lot of smaller places, but I certainly couldn't lie and call it secluded. We considered renting a villa in Jamaica to have our own little private beach, so I guess that can be an option on most islands. We were considering Cuba for the reason that there are lots of areas still that aren't as developed as Varadero, but I realize that's not an option for you. I'm not expecting Grace Bay on Provo to be secluded, but maybe with a car we can find a few less travelled spots. To have a sailboat would be nice, and anchor wherever you want....

Anyway... I digress.... Keep us posted where you decide to go Paco. Maybe Del Mo will let us in on the locations of some of these secluded beaches? ...(and shark locations, which the Bahamas seems to be big on :wink: ??? Although... can't blame him for wanting to keep them a secret so everyone and their dive gear doesn't turn up :wink:

Back
Top Bottom