Where to stay? Need good diving and great beaches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco II

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a diver, the GF is not. For our last trip, the GF and I went somewhere with great diving and decent beaches. The bargain was that for our next trip, the destination had to have fantastic gorgeous amazing beaches. So now I am on the hunt for somewhere with said amazing beaches and hopefully some decent diving as well.

In addition to the required amazing beaches, also needs to be somewhere easy going/chill. No need for wild nightlife.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

The BVI's, esp. Virgin Gorda, Grand Cayman, (Seven Mile Beach...) Grand Bahama (Freeport). Turks/Caicos (never been there)

Check out Antigua. The beaches on the north side are beautiful, with good snorkeling. The diving on the south side is pretty good.

Negril, Jamaica's 7 mile beach has been rated one of the greatest by Caribbean Travel Magazine. Fantastic white sand for miles, beautiful clear water, fun night life, and good diving. Depending on your budget and preferences you can choose from local hotels, Sandals, Beaches, Hedonism II, Couples, Grand Lido and more. The one's I've named have diving included in the all-inclusive price.

Great posts so far. Thanks! Great starting point for my research. Man, getting to those destinations from CA is such a pain. So many connections. I am spoiled by nonstops to Hawaii. But life's too short to keep going back to the same 'paradise' over and over :wink:

I am a diver, the GF is not. For our last trip, the GF and I went somewhere with great diving and decent beaches. The bargain was that for our next trip, the destination had to have fantastic gorgeous amazing beaches. So now I am on the hunt for somewhere with said amazing beaches and hopefully some decent diving as well.

In addition to the required amazing beaches, also needs to be somewhere easy going/chill. No need for wild nightlife.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Great diving and gorgeous beaches?
I agree about Turks & Caicos and the Caymans (Grand, Little, or Brac). Bahamas has great beaches but best diving from a liveaboard. Jamaica has beaches but diving isn't what you are looking for. How about Curacao? Bonaire has fantastic diving but beaches aren't big so that is why I think Curacao might suit you both better.
check out: Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations for specials.
My personal recommendation would be Cayman Brac or Little Cayman or T&C or Curacao. A+ diving at all of those plus great beaches. :D

Are you aware that Air Jamaica has a non-stop red-eye out of LAX to Montego Bay Jamaica every night? I have friends in Palm Springs that take that a couple of times a year and they like it. Arrives in the early morning so you get a full day in Jamaica.

The more I think about your wishes, the more I think one of the Couples Resorts near Negril would be a great choice for you. Couples Negril is on Bloody Bay which is one of the most perfect white sand beaches in the Caribbean. Absolutely amazing sand in a beautiful little bay, perfect for all watersports. Just a couple of minutes from some great diving. Also, Couples Swept Away is right down the road and is located in the middle of Long Bay at Negril, frequently called the best and longest beach in Jamaica. This stretch of beach is fantastic for long walks and great sunsets. Again, it's just a couple of minutes from all the dive sites. Swept Away is marketed for the more active lifestyle person, but either would be nice. Both have excellent beaches but CN would win on the finer sand a beautiful smaller bay.

(Now I have Dreaded Island Fever - DIF - that sad feeling that one has when you are just dying for an island visit!!)

In no particular order,

BVI, specifically Virgin Gorda, and maybe Anegada or Jost Van Dyke.

St. John in the USVI's,

Anguilla (just north of St. Maarten), and

Culebra, PR.

All relatively quiet places with gorgeous beaches.

Travel & Leisure just published its “Top 25 Hotels in the Caribbean, Bermuda and the Bahamas.”

Here are some really outstanding Negril, Jamaica resorts:

5: Couples Swept Away, Negril (Long Bay)

8: Couples Negril, Negril (Bloody Bay)

24: Grand Lido Negril, Negril (Bloody Bay)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom