Where to stay in the Domincan Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bridger

Reaction score
Greetings
I've led 5 groups on winter escapes from here in South Dakota. Looking at the Dominican Republic as a destination for the winter of 07. We just got back from Playa Del Carmen Mexico. The group size is nearly 50 people only 6 divers so I have to find a spot that has great diving but caters to non divers as well. Any suggestions?
Bridger

Sure do, Bridger.

It's in my feature trip report in the Jun '03 issues of Undercurrent, http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/issues2003.shtml "Bayahibe, Dominican Republic: not bad for an all-inclusive romantic getaway."

One does need to take care about location in the DR as the diving is very marginal in some areas.

Liked it so much I'm going back end of next month.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

I have been to DR 4 times in the past 6 years. I have not tried Bayahibe, sounds worth a shot from the above article and I agree with Doc about the limited diving in some areas.
I have stayed at the Barcelo Bavaro Palace. It is the nicest of the five Barcelo hotels in a gated complex. Good prices for all-inclusive and if you stay at the Palace all of the other hotels restaurants, bars etc. are included. Next door the Beach Club has a pretty good dive shop Scubacaribe about a 3 to 5 min. walk from anywhere in the Palace. Do not expect pre hurricane Cozumel quality diving in DR I would rate it a 5 or 6 on a scale of 10 but if you have 44 people to make happy and they don't dive this place is a great option.

I don't know if the name has changed since but I stayed at the Melia Caribe resort in 2001 and it was first-class. I later stayed at one of the Bavaro resorts and it paled in comparison.

Bobby

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom