Where to stay in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hooked-Again

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The wife and I are planning our dive vacation for April or May 2006. We originally were planning on Bonaire, but because of the high cost and difficulty of getting there from Colorado, we have widened our search to Roatan. We gave our travel agent CoCo View, Fantasy Island and Anthony's Key Resort as possilbe destinations to check out for dive specials; etc. Anthony's Key and Fantasy Island seemed to have the best deals and most surface time activities. The travel agent advised us that reports from other divers she had sent to Fantasy Island were not favorable. In her words they said it was a "dump". This is contrary to any reports I have read on Scuba Board so would like any input from divers that have been to Fantasy Island recently.

Thanks.
Breathe shallow-Dive deep; BE SAFE

Fantasy Island a dump? Has your TA been there? We've been to Coco View twice and love it. It ain't fancy, but we go there for the diving. FI is across the waterway from CCV and it looks nice. AKR is on the north shore. Depending on what you want is where you will stay. For maximum diving (an excellent dive operation) and no night life go to CCV. They only have 25 rooms, so it stays quaint. FI is much bigger and has a night life, we can hear their music across the waterway. We just tell Michelle to turn up her music. CCV boats are nicer and tend to stay less crowded, FI boats are packed to the gills.

k8brandt:
Fantasy Island a dump? Has your TA been there? We've been to Coco View twice and love it. It ain't fancy, but we go there for the diving. FI is across the waterway from CCV and it looks nice. AKR is on the north shore. Depending on what you want is where you will stay. For maximum diving (an excellent dive operation) and no night life go to CCV. They only have 25 rooms, so it stays quaint. FI is much bigger and has a night life, we can hear their music across the waterway. We just tell Michelle to turn up her music. CCV boats are nicer and tend to stay less crowded, FI boats are packed to the gills.

Please understand that I wasen't saying Fantasy Island is a dump, nor was my TA. She was mearly conveying to us the remarks she had gotten from a group of divers she had booked into FI. I am just trying to find out if there is any merit to their comments. I thought this forum would be the place to set the record straight and help us to make our decision as where to go. I am, however, a little concerned that I only received one comment on the subject. It makes me wonder if the experience was not memorable enough for people to respond in a favorable way. Thank you k8brandt for your input. We will look into CoCo View.

Hello Hooked, I am just wondering what price range your travel agent gave you. I am looking to book a trip in early april. Thinking Coz, Caymen, Rotan, or Bonaire. Where are you flying out of DIA, Colorado Springs, or other.

Daxter:
Hello Hooked, I am just wondering what price range your travel agent gave you. I am looking to book a trip in early april. Thinking Coz, Caymen, Rotan, or Bonaire. Where are you flying out of DIA, Colorado Springs, or other.

Daxter, We just talked to her again on Wensday and she is suggesting we wait until January before we start checking Airfares. As you may know, Southwest is starting at DIA and most of the other airlines usually drop their airfares after the holidays. I will keep you posted on what I find out. We are also trying to decide between Roatan and Bonaire. Be glad to forward any information we get.

Happy Holidays!!

Just got back from AKR Sat 11-19 we did a SI at FI and the place seamed run down and appeared to be having a sewer problem AKR was good.

Thanks Hooked, I will keep that in mind and wait to book for a couple of months. It would be nice if SW airlines could make all others have a price war for us. LOL.
Happy Holidays!

Anthony`s Key Resort offers some of the best diving in the Bay Islands as well as the international dolphin study areas....they offer several packages for divers , (rooms and meals , as well as diving opportunities).....price ranges for all vacation budgets...I had a great time diving with them and their attenitive dive masters....example , we were out on our second dive of the day , and the crew offered Lobster Sandwiches for lunch...WOW...they were great..... Nitrox available.... as well as training....email akr@anthonyskey.com phone 954 929 0090 or view them on the web www.anthonyskey.com Iwill definately stay with them again....

Hooked....it would depend on what you want/need other than diving. CCV and AKR both have excellent dive operations. AKR is on the north side of Roatan, CCV is on the south. As such, their dive sites differ a bit and the conditions can be vastly different on the same day. For instance when we were there in October with the storms in the area, the north side was having 6-8 ft seas while the south side was flat. The time of year you go and the weather at that time will help you decide which side to stay on.

Also if you require non-diving activities and don't want to leave the resort for them, if you need some night life then AKR would be a better choice for you. Keep in mind that although they have the museum, the dolphin research center, a great gift shop, most of their rooms/cabins are on a key and you'll have to get someone to give you a ride back and forth in a boat. Not a big problem as they are always ready to do so, but it does take more planning than just walking to the clubhouse. There are also several steep hills and the clubhouse has a long stairway you have to climb for meals. This is the main reason we decided not to stay there...my knees just wouldn't take it! It's also a family resort so there can be lots of children around.

If diving is the main reason for your trip then CCV would be the best choice. CCV is on an island by itself so if you want/need to leave the resort you'll catch a boat to the main dock. This has never been a problem for us. There are several non-diving activities planned every week that you can sign up for, such as shark dives, treetop canopy tours, shopping trips and eco-excursions. With boardwalks everywhere, it's easy to get around the resort. It's an adult resort so there won't be any children there although Jr. divers are welcome with their families. CCV may not be the cheapest of the 3 you mentioned but IMHO it's worth the extra $$.

I've visited FI several times with the thought of taking advantage of their cheap rates while still diving the same sites I love. But I gotta tell you each visit made me even more convinced not to stay there. There was always a sewer smell, the rooms we looked at needed lots of work and the guests we met weren't very friendly. Might have been a cultural thing since we saw very few Americans there. K8 mentioned the loud music. If it can keep me awake 100's of yards away, I can just imagine how loud it is right there with it. Most days it starts at dark and is still going after midnight.

Just my 2¢

Dee:
Also if you require non-diving activities and don't want to leave the resort for them, if you need some night life then AKR would be a better choice for you. Keep in mind that although they have the museum, the dolphin research center, a great gift shop, most of their rooms/cabins are on a key

I am also interested in going to Roatan at around the same time. AKR definitely seems to be the classiest operation, in terms of non diving factors. (I need to keep a non-diving wife happy at this remote locale.) Nevertheless, where can I find a good (discounted) deal on this resort. My searches have only uncovered their standard seasonally adjusted rack rates. I am convinced that better pricing is available. Do you have any advice in that regard? (Please view this as a thread detail clarification instead of a hijack.) Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom